composting rhubarb leaves?

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Is this possible? I know they are supposed to be toxic/poisonous, but can they be safely tossed in the compost pile to sit for a year and the resulting compost be used in the garden for other veggies?

Or would it be better to just throw them in the garbage and not take a chance of contaminating future crops?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only "poison" in them AFAIK is oxalic acid, which is only toxic in large amounts *anyhow* and breaks down during the composting process. No problemo. Lotsa people been composting rhubarb leaves for a long time, I think we'd know if there was a real problem ;)

JMHO,

Pat

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to know the oxilic acid break down. Thanks.

I read where it would take eating about 11 pounds of rhubarb leaves to kill a person, although a lot less will make you sick. I think the source was reliable. Assuming I can get my rhubarb to actually produce this year, I suspect I will be composting some leaves, but they will be a very small amount of the total volume of compostable materials.

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Great Thanks for all the replies. It is something I've wondered about and now I know.

Lavender-it's good to know you're still kickin :D

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mmmmm rhubarb is about to come up now :) I have to go check today and see

Did you check out the recipe thread Big Brown Horse has a great thread going there

Yes they are fine to compost ..in fact I will put them face down between the raised beds and find it the best way on the planet for me to trap slugs..for some reason they love going under them so I make rounds pick up the leaves and the slugs

You can use your leave to do this:
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1.php
someone posted this last year on here someplace not sure if anyone tried it?

I am for sure going to make several of these this year ...when all the stars line up and the moon is in the right spot ..the rhubarb leaves huge and beautiful with a dry day for doing this out of doors...(two things not so easy to get here :p )...I will make them for my garden and for gifts ..I wanted to last year but got side tracked with the other 294858 things needed doing ...

I think they are just such a beautiful leaf dont you? and they get HUGE!!!

this project does look easy ..cheap and you can never have too many spots for birds bees and butterflies to come visit for a sip :)

what a nice feature to have one of these tucked in here and there

anyway this is about compost

and yes I compost rhubarb leaves I never thought about the poison ..between the breakdown ..concentration and ditribution taking place when you make compost..well ..even if there was any left it would not be chelated into the plants ..at least that would not make logical sense that it could to me... so have at it ..those of us who never thought about it are living proof it is fine :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love those leaf birdbaths, Hi. Keep us posted if you try it. I think they look so cool and natural...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
You can use your leave to do this:
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1.php
someone posted this last year on here someplace not sure if anyone tried it?
I made a bunch of these last year, and a leaf table.
It was fun and easy, once I got the hang of playing in cement :rolleyes:
I'll dig out some pics tomorrow ... when I'm more awake ... :D