Confused about garlic

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, mine started to peep up a little too. I didn't count mine but I did plant alot also. I also planted a good bit of bulbils. I am going to cover them with mulch this weekend. I have to go to the lumber yard to get some more because I just didn't have enough. I have onions that have started spouted in the stairway that I am thinking about planting with them. I don't know if they will be OK but what the worst that could happen? I'm just going to cover them with mulch too and check em in the spring.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did manage to mulch my garlic with shredded leaves and pine straw. Today was 70 degrees so I'm sure the poor plants are confused right now. :rolleyes:

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I did manage to mulch my garlic with shredded leaves and pine straw. Today was 70 degrees so I'm sure the poor plants are confused right now. :rolleyes:
So what type of garlic can you grow in LA. Is it spicey or mild. I didn't realize you could grow it in the south. I thought that was the one thing we had on southern gardeners.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Southern Gardener said:
So what type of garlic can you grow in LA. Is it spicey or mild. I didn't realize you could grow it in the south. I thought that was the one thing we had on southern gardeners.
I ordered a Warm Winter Sampler from Gourmet Garlic Gardens - these are supposed to grow well in mild winters. This is my first attempt at galic - here is what I planted:

Shilla - A Turban garlic
Sonorau - A Turban garlic
Maiskij - A Turban garlic
Red Toch - An Artichoke garlic
Ajo Rojo - A Creole garlic

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well good I hope it turns out for you. This is my second year for garlic and I loved it. I am also doing bulbils this year also because I didn't remove my scapes and let them develop. Hopefully next year they will be big enough that I can use them for seed and keep more of my garlic to use in the kitchen. I planted about 7 different types and need to cut that down to 2-3 types. Hopefully I will use only what I like next year and reduce some of the work.

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
Smiles said:
Hey you guys, I'm getting concerned. I put out 30 cloves of garlic about three weeks ago in several tires I have in the outback. I've never grown garlic before and I'm excited that all of my sets are about 6 to 7 inches tall already. Are you saying that I should be concerned about a hard freeze? I'm on the border of zones 5 and 6 and it can sometimes be below 20*F here for weeks on end. With my plants in raised beds they will surely be subjected to the elements. Are you saying that I should pile on some straw for protection?
I would.

THANX RICH
I'm in zone 6b. I grow garlic, and have never covered it with anything. It has always survived. It has always sprouted before spring, and it's never been a problem.
Forgot to add that mine's in a raised bed also, but this is the first year there. I'm thinking one good thing about that is that it will warm up quickly in the spring.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Hey you guys, I'm getting concerned. I put out 30 cloves of garlic about three weeks ago in several tires I have in the outback. I've never grown garlic before and I'm excited that all of my sets are about 6 to 7 inches tall already. Are you saying that I should be concerned about a hard freeze? I'm on the border of zones 5 and 6 and it can sometimes be below 20*F here for weeks on end. With my plants in raised beds they will surely be subjected to the elements. Are you saying that I should pile on some straw for protection?
Last year I planted garlic for the first time. I didn't mulch, my northern white and metechi did fine; Spanish rojo, amish and martin heirloom didn't do well and most didn't even come up. This year I am mulching so that hopefully I won't have to worry about weeds in the spring either. I live in Ohio on the zone 5/6 border also, I call it 6a.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally got mine covered with straw last week. Nothing like working in the garden in December! What a weird year! Most of mine had sprouted...

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Straw is good. They seem to make it out here from fall to spring.

We put out about 300 so far. We are building our stock up to make garlic our main crop and gathering varieties.

It is such a wonderfully EASY plant

Latest posts