Corn Suckers/Side Shoots

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never removed side shoots from my sweet corn. I don't have the time nor the energy and it really never seems to make a difference in the production. We always have more corn than we can eat, freeze and give away.

That being said, I am curious to see what others have done?

So do you remove them? Or do you not?

Any differences in production? Number or ears? Sweetness? Pollination?

The only reason I ask is the other day I was showing someone the garden and they practically took my head off for leaving my side shoots. They're still there and I really don't want to remove them but I do want to know what works for everyone else.

Thanks
Carlos

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think it makes a difference, and I'm pretty sure I've read papers that say it makes no difference, and that in some cases, removing them damages the main plant and makes it more suceptable to problems.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I never even heard of it till a few weeks ago. My dad plants acres of sweet corn...talk about no time to remove them :rolleyes: So I cant compare but I dont think it was ever a problem

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read somewhere the other day that they are beneficial to the plant, so leave them there. Said it often causes more trauma to remove them. I always removed them but this year I'm not going to and see what happens. I also am going to try oiling my silks....never tried that before either.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oiling the silks? Why does that not sound like a good idea? Wouldn't that plug the pores so to say so the pollen can't reach the ovaries so to say?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd try it on a few, and note the results by comparing results. Standard has always been remove them, but we don't. Maybe I'll do a few, too, just to compare, as well.

Wait a minute....let's do an Easy Garden study! If everyone growing corn would remove the suckers off a few, and let us know the difference between those with, and those without, we would be able to decide, once and for all. Not a sterile scientific experiment, but interesting all the same. Would anyone like to participate? We can start a new thread....yep, gonna' do that. Don't mind me! :D

Silkie, we've oiled ours. We just do it right where the silk meets the cob, and only early morning, or evening. We prefer evening, as it's pulled down inside without the sun boiling it. It saved our crop from earworms, which had been over-running.

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Now explain to me what oiling is for. What type of oil, how much, when to oil etc. I've never heard of this.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ah, that would make sense if you are trying to prevent ear worms and such. I don't think I'll bother oiling or pulling suckers off my corn.... maybe if I only had like a hundred or so plants. Have fun!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to be selling some at my roadside stand and I don't want people to get it home and find big worms in it! Us organic growers have to compete with the pesticide folks somehow! :D

Besides, if I used butter I can always advertise it as "Pre-buttered Corn"!!! :lol:

Latest posts