Corn Thread for 2014

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have glass gem corn. It's my first ever attempt at corn so we'll see. We always just buy it locally because what's grown around here is. So good it's not worth giving the space to an inferior variety.

But the glass gem is WAAAAAAY to cool not to try so here goes nothing.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jared77 are you going to pick it fresh or let it dry for cornmeal? BTW, Glass Gem is some gorgeous corn! Don't forget to save seed!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I cheated. :hide I kept waiting on my corn and nothing.:fl I went to the hardware store and they had flats of Silver Queen:oops: I tried to resist,:idunno but I bought 2 flats and each little cube had 3-4 I separated them and planted them. where the other corn has yet to show it's lazy faces :barnie. Now I fear the other corn will get Jealous and I will be over run with corn!!:ya will keep you posted!! @Jared77 please post pics!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
:barnie Went to check on my beautiful sprouts and found nothing but stems I guess the bunnies are all full now. What was I thinking:he off to lowes to get fence posts!:th
Or for gun, make great rabbit stew........

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got it from the Native Seed link that Chickie Momma posted. They were the most I've ever spent on a package of seeds but they have a very good cause & mission statement so it wasn't an issue. Id order from them again without hesitation they were excellent to deal with. Bunch of seed and were very fast & friendly.

I plan on picking some fresh & I might dry some for cornmeal I honestly haven't thought that far ahead yet.

I'll get a thread about it going on TEG soon I promise. I know if I don't I'll get badgered about it haha!!

And yes I'm planning on saving a bunch of seed from it. It's WAAAY to beautiful not to.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took some pics today of corn.....

This is Peaches N' Cream I planted in March. There is also a row of Homestead tomatoes in there. When the corn makes, I'll cut it down and plant again. I should be able to get two crops before frost.

Corn Peaches n cream.jpg

This is Painted Mountain I planted April 15. The corn in the front looks a little sad, while the corn in the back looks big and healthy. I fed the front corn a little bonemeal this morning. Dunno why the difference, but it is on a slight slope, so maybe all the chicken compost runs downhill. :idunno

Corn PM.jpg

Latest posts