Cottage Garden Help.... :)

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So...I have a somewhat large bed on one side of my path to my house that I decided I would like to plant cottage garden style...I love the seemingly totally random, mish-mash tangle of flowers and plants that a real cottage garden is. :) (I posted a thread a bit ago about tilling up my lawn to plant a cottage-style vegetable garden...still working on that, as the soil there will need lots of amendment). Anyway, this is a long, skinny stretch along our walkway to the door that opens up into a larger, somewhat circular-shaped area (will have to try to get pics). There is nothing planted there right now and it is ready to plant!! I planned to do quite a bit more planning before I invested in any plants, but today while out and about I found a fabulous sale on perennials. Mostly in gallon-size pots, all $3...or less!! I couldn't resist, and so I loaded up the trunk of my car. :p So now I have all of these cool plants, but I have many different varieties, 2 or 3 of some, singles of many. They are all things I like and all things that should do well in this spot, but I'm afraid I might have too many different varieties and too much mish-mash, if that makes sense? If too much mish-mash is possible in a cottage garden?? :lol:

My point to this whole ramble is--I would like some suggestions as to what I might be able to plant to possibly tie my crazy mis-matched garden together just a bit. I only have 2 of the plants I bought today planted so far, so I can move things around any way I need to at this point. This is what I bought today:

3 giant Delphinium (blue)
3 Coneflower
2 Black-eyed susan
2 Coreopsis
2 Cupid's Dart
1 Knockout Rose (Pink)
1 Salvia, "Snowhill" (white flowers)
1 Salvia, can't remember variety--pink flowers
1 Walker's Low Catmint
1 Hyssop
2 Sage, can't remember variety--has pink flowers, low-growing variety (no higher than 12")
1 Lavender
1 Oregano, variegated

In addition to the above list, I also had a dwarf purple butterfly bush (4' tall at most) that I had planted in this bed. I planted the knockout rose, too.

I definitely want more lavender, and I need more creeping things to plant in spots along the concrete walkway (I want some things to spill out across the path in places). But should I invest in several of one variety of plant to tie this crazy mess together? Thoughts, opinions? I am thinking a couple more pink roses in some of the larger spots in the bed...hhhhmmmm....of course, I'm also having trouble because it is SO hard to envision what the bed will look like in a few years, when the plants are mature in size and are really taking over. Right now everything looks so sparse with just the little gallon-size pots laid out in the bed! But even taking into consideration the mature size of the plants, and given that you want things kinda crowded in a cottage garden, I'm going to have some space to fill.

I will try to get some pics of the area tomorrow!

Thanks! :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
True Cottage Gardens contain vegetables as well, but as you already have a vegetable garden I guess you would not want that? They really should be a jumble of favourite plants. The best advice I can give you is not to organise it too much. Don't plant with all the tallest plants at the back; bring one or two to the front of the area: I would choose the sweetest smelling ones. Choose plants with different sized, textured, coloured leaves -- a living tapestry! Try to get a succession of flowering so that you have something in flower (or,at least, of interest year-round). In the winter you need interesting seed-heads, bark etc. Add some 'cottagey' extras like some baskets or tin bathes filled with pots of herbs (you can take these inside in the winter. Maybe add a wooden seat of some kind -- something that looks home-made; could be a bird-table.

Above all it should look like a garden version of a random quilt!! :D

Lots of Good Luck with y our new project! It looks like you got a great deal on your plants! :happy_flower Getting all those herbs is great as cottage gardens always contained them; used for the families health.

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Crunchie :frow

I have just found you a site that I thought might help you with the cottage garden look you are after! :D This one is a rather grand one but beautiful!
Negotiate your way through the whole site! http://www.cottagegarden.org.uk/cottagegarden1.htm
I'll keep an eye out for others!

[I've just edited this to add another site that might be useful -- a lot of these plants you could grow from seed -- MUCH CHEAPER
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg2/flat/module3/
Just a warning; sometimes these BBC sites don't work in the US. If it doesn't I am sorry!]

HAPPY GARDENING! :tools :tools :tools

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am trying for a cottage garden as well... so I know how you feel. I'm getting in a lot of coneflower!! Those really excite me, but I've added such things as bellflower, marigold, foxglove (my favorite!), black eyed susans, sunflowers.... ect.

I will soon be mixing in roses... and my vines are growing slowly... cause you need vines to do that crazy cover everything thing they do! :love

Hardest part is trying to be patient. I have so many areas I've started, and they are all so far from being filled in. I'm trying to do many plants from seed, cutting and splitting root balls of perennials that are there going already.

To really get everything full and jumbled like I want, I see years of work and waiting... but I really don't want to spend the money to do all this.

For less then $1000 this is where my yard is now:

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

Now that money includes fencing, wood, MY DECK, chicken coop and all my plants. Trading and swapping is a wonderful way to go!!! :rose

:weight Can I also suggest trying to mix in some night bloomers, and some really strongly fragrant varieties to make an inviting smell to people coming up that way. The night bloomers would be awesome for late night visitors. :bouquet

Those sites Hattie posted are awesome too!!!!!!!!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think all my garden beds qualify as a "cottage garden". I plant what a feel like, there are veggies and fruit in the mix, and I tend to move stuff around at random :D

I need to do some weeding and then I will take some pics.

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info, Hattie!! :D And I can access those sites from "over here." :p The list of "top 10" plants on the BBC site is fun. A lot of the plants on the list are ones I already have! Cool. :cool: Those garden pics on the first site you listed are gorgeous. :drool Great inspiration! I have started some delphinium, hollyhock, black-eyed susan, and coneflower from seed, but they probably won't bloom 'till next year. You are right, it is much cheaper! I think I'm going to try to start more from seed so I can inexpensively fill in gaps as I go. Ordering seed also provides access to a much wider variety of plants than what I can find locally.

Vfem, your yard looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to look into some night-blooming flowers. Fun. Coneflower is definitely one of my favorites. I love those! I am planning to plant a whole mess of them right at the beginning of my walkway in this bed. They will make me very happy to be the first flowers that I see when I come home. :)

Wifezilla, the "I plant what I feel like" philosophy is what I'm going for. That's why I'm so excited at the idea of a cottage garden. I'm also planning a cottage-style veggie garden (w/more flowers too, of course ;) ) on the other side of my walkway from this particular bed. But this bed isn't too large and I didn't think I'd have room for many veggies. A few may sneak in there, though. I'd love to see pics of yours when you get a chance!

I didn't get home 'till after dark so I didn't get any pics of this bed today. Hopefully tomorrow! Thanks for all of your input, everyone!

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love cottage gardens. My home is 100 years old, so my gardens need to be super informal. I planted my flower beds *really tight* with tons of different things. No rhyme or reason - just stuff that sang to me and begged me to take it home. You are lucky - you are in a warm zone and can grow just about anything. In my dreams. Anyways, I'd recommend just placing your plants around in the garden and seeing how you feel about them in that location. Lots of moving and shifting can take place before you ever dig a hole. Don't go for structure - go for emotion. And be sure to put your fragrant stuff in the front - I especially like walking past the lavender and thyme but the roses are my favorite. I like putting white at the edges so that I can walk around after dark and see the outlines of the gardens. I also like putting some architecture into my gardens - a fountain or trellis or something to otherwise give it some height and interest. Check out my personal page to see the gardens from last year. They change every year (yes, I'm a ding dong and sometimes move around my perennials until they are in the JUST RIGHT spot!) but this year it's still too early....

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Crunchie, :frow

I just came across this photo of a lovely cottagey kitchen garden:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NJEgMlOGP6w/ShaM1zgpTTI/AAAAAAAAFIY/-Almms_HG1Q/s1600-h/P5160215.jpg

I thought it would go beautifully with your flower garden! :happy_flower
I'm glad you are already thinking ahead with sowing from seed for flowering next year. Try starting some seeds of Artichokes, Cardoons, & Lovage for your veg garden next year. The three of them are architectural plants which will give your garden the WOW factor as they are tall & stately & can be grown in both veg & flower garden. :D

Happy Gardening. :happy_flower

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a cottage garden, I call it my courtyard. I am just starting a second cottage garden with veggies mixed in.

Latest posts