Couldn't put it off, any longer.......

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Took the shovel and scooped off the chicken-poop layer in one of Babygirl's chicken runs. Got an huge amount of chicken "gold" for the compost pile. Haven't done it in about a year. Got tired of nearly slipping down (I could break a hip :lol:), after rain, when I would go in to collect the eggs, feed and water.

6615_1j.jpg

6615_1k.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did the recently, I really need to drag more sand home to put in the runs now. The duck's pen needs it again already!

It's nice to have for the compost pile though! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was bagging grass clippings and lining the run last summer. By the Fall, I had 3 inches of "muck". I took a shovel to it--it rolled up, just like sod!--and I put it in one of my beds. PURE GARDENING GOLD!!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks like it's about ready to use without composting! Good stuff there.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is the magic ingredient! I am surprised you don't put down some hay in that enclosed area....

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Whoo Hoo! That is great stuff! I am going to be cleaning out my coop this Sunday (hopefully) after the winter. It will be nice to add the cleanings to our manure pile. Outside in the run, all winter long we were putting hay remnants from the cows in the chicken run. Gave them something warm to walk on instead of snow and of course to dig around in. It became kind of packed down over the winter, but like a very nice cushion. I started about a month ago tossing treats into different areas so that they will dig and scratch and break up all of the cushion and mix it into the soil. So far its working great!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did that last fall and put it on the new garden area where I grew potatoes last year which was unamended native soil.
I should see a big difference this season.