County Fair 2014

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I turned in all of my items for fair last night. I entered lots of canned goods, a couple knitted items, eggs, some flowers, herbs, and vegetables. Usually in the adult category for vegetables and herbs, all of the entries take up two 12 foot tables. By the time 7pm rolled around (last call for entries) only about 2/3 of one adult table was filled. I was the only one who brought red tomatoes and hot peppers. There were no melons, corn, or carrots. I couldn't believe how terrible the turn out was. I asked some of the fair staff what the deal was and they said only about half of what was registered actually made it to the fair and all of the drop outs said it was because nothing in their garden was ready yet. It was really sad. The youth and senior citizen categories filled up a whole 12 foot table each which is normal. There were also hardly any quilts this year but lots of knitted and crocheted items. There were tons of canned items and baked goods as well. I will be taking Ma and Pa to the fair later today to buy them a pork chop and show them the items I entered- and hopefully some ribbons! Last year we came home with Grand Champion of domestic arts for a scarf and Reserve Champion of home products for my Wellsummer eggs. In 2012 we brought home a Reserve Grand Champion for my Plum Pepper Jelly. We want lots of premiums so we can buy more canning jars and seeds for 2015!

On another note, the 4H girl I bought the Andalusian and Orpington eggs from will be competing with the parent stock of the chicks I have so I will be attending that show. If she gets a trip to the state fair with one of either of those birds, I will attend the auction with my Pa and see if we can send her to fair with some spending money. She's such a nice girl and I'm hoping I can buy half a pig and half a beef from her for this winter. Lots and lots of fair fun!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is cool! The part about entering your stuff - not the poor turnout. Yall have your fair early! Ours is usually in mid Sept.
Hey - where are the pictures of your entries?!?!?!?!?

Last year I made plans to go wiht a friend to the state fair for the 'mule day' part of the equestrian events. We were SOO excited. When we got there, it turned out that there were 7 mules on site. Seven. And one of those wasn't competing. It was terribly dissapointing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you, @HotPepperQueen! I love walking though the fair grounds and seeing all the entries. My Rock County Fair has the honor of being the first county fair in the U.S.

I hope you do really well. A reduced competition pool may not be what you want to see, but it increases your odds of a successful showing.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best of luck HotPepperQueen! I think you will win at least once! Your fair sounds so lovely. A couple of years ago, I returned to our county fair where I grew up and it was such a disappointment. There were no sewing items, canned goods, or anything. I remember marveling at what people could create. There were only a few fruits and veggies. Even the animals were almost non existant. I did see a hugh white pumkin. I think it was called Giant White Alaskan or something like that.

Mary

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will have pictures when I haul all 40 some items back home...hopefully with ribbons! We are heading out in a few minutes- can't wait to see!!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey HPQ, eat an elephant ear for me! ( It's a rule that anything you eat at a fair doesn't count.)

I hope you got a lot of blues, but no matter what I know you will have had a great time just entering and being there.

Our fair is coming soon, and the big draft horse and mule show is going to be at the fairgrounds north of me after that. Can't wait for that one!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
countyfair2014.jpg

Here's everything!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:celebrateHooray! :celebrate Way to go, girlfriend! :celebrate Hooray!:celebrate

:bow How about telling us what the top 4-5 awards were for?:love (I wouldn't want you to get finger cramps listing all those well-deserved awards).:bow

Latest posts