Crawfish castle in my raised bed

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a crawfish (aka crawdad) in my raised blueberry bed. It is a good 30 yards from the pond. I just built the bed this spring. I keep removing the mud "castles" and filling the holes with pine bark mulch, but he/she won't leave. Any ideas how I might get rid of it? I hope the bed is high enough to overcome the water that is under the surface, but that is another story.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you seen the offending crawdad? Can you do a catch and release far from the bed? Good Luck.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
that has to be a unique pest. I have them, but not in my beds. maybe go "fishing" & drop a string w/bacon on the end & pull 'em out.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting... :caf I would like to know too. I've seen little holes all over the place in damper areas of my yard which I *thought* must by crawdads, but I can't see that they had done any damage to the plants...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a sign of a high water table. They have to be able to dig deep enough for the hole to have water at the bottom. I used to live in a place that had those mud towers all over the pasture. You could go out at night with a flashlight and see them "mowing" the lawn. I never realized before that that they would eat grass.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We get them in our yard, too. Just a mud tower with a hole down the middle. Kinda lumpy, made with wet lumps of mud. They dry pretty hard. I guess the biggest one I've seen has been about 9" tall. You can get the crawdads to latch onto a stick that is inserted down the hole, and drag them out. But often they will drop off at the last minute. :( I guess it's something to keep the kids occupied for a while, lol.

Latest posts