Cream Legbar Rooster

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for cream legbar hens for almost a year now. They are crazy expensive ($35+ / chick) and I THOUGHT I had lucked out at the big Spring swap meet when I found someone selling hatching eggs for $5/each. I got 1/2 dozen. 21 days later I had 2 healthy chicks... but both apparently male. :-(
Cream Legbars lay beautiful blue eggs. If you would be interested in adding a roo that will bring some interesting color to next year's eggs - and if you're within a reasonable driving distance (for me that means an hour or so) I would LOVE to place these guys in a good home instead of the freezer.
They turn 4 weeks old 6/24 - so I don't know about their quality yet - they are looking real good so far... just not hens... :-(

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for cream legbar hens for almost a year now. They are crazy expensive ($35+ / chick) and I THOUGHT I had lucked out at the big Spring swap meet when I found someone selling hatching eggs for $5/each. I got 1/2 dozen. 21 days later I had 2 healthy chicks... but both apparently male. :-(
Cream Legbars lay beautiful blue eggs. If you would be interested in adding a roo that will bring some interesting color to next year's eggs - and if you're within a reasonable driving distance (for me that means an hour or so) I would LOVE to place these guys in a good home instead of the freezer.
They turn 4 weeks old 6/24 - so I don't know about their quality yet - they are looking real good so far... just not hens... :-(
Have you checked backyard chicken? Just a word of warning however. We bought 12 lavender orpingtons from someone on BYC. 11 were roosters. They are not cheap chicks.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't gone on BYC about them yet, only because it's my impression that roosters don't fare well there because just about everyone already has more roos than they want.
I don't want anything for them, but since they're still fairely 'rare' and unusual around here, I'd rather they not end up in the stew pot (mine or someone elses).
I'm still trying to figure out how I can keep them with some of my lightest color laying hens to see if any chicks hatched from the pair might lay light olive eggs... but THAT might just put me further in the rooster hole than I already am. My luck, I'd hatch out a dozen MORE males.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that is tempting. I am headed to the Outer Banks in September. I'll probably pass close to your area. Wonder if DH would let me drive home 8 hours w/ a roo in the backseat? :D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's just a LITTLE roo right now - Just some quiet peeping....... ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how his genes would work on EE's? Of the eight I have, one lays a pinkish brown egg, two lay speckled olive eggs and the rest lay light blue/green tinted eggs. Would he pump up the blue in their offspring any? I'd need a 'bator too...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue egg layer (cream legbar rooster) x brown egg layer = olive egger
The dark egg layers like Welsumer, Pendeseca, Marans, when crossed to a blue egg layer will make some real dark olive egg layers. There is a whole thread on BYC on breeding "mutts" for the purpose of olive eggs.