Crested duckling

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just realized that one of my Rouen ducklings is crested. At least I think that's what the poofy feathers on top of the head are. I had 2 with the poofs but it (and another) got carried off by a hawk the other day.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Glad to hear you still have a fluff-head. :p
Has anyone told you about breeding crested ducks? (the stories I could tell you)

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, don't ever breed two crested ducks together if you can help it. I could lay out all the genetic hargin-flargin, but I'll simple it to laman's terms: If you do breed two cresteds together, a third (or more) of the hatch are doomed to die.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ah, one of those fatal gene things. I only have one right now, but I'll remember that in case I get anymore. Thanks Det! Goodness knows I've been having enough trouble with my hatches lately without throwing fatal genes into the mix.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yep, as far as I know, it has something to do with the fatty tissue --holding the crest-- expanding into the brain. O_O

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
Incompletely Dominant
1 dose = Crest
0 dose = No crest
2 doses = cerebral distortion
Okay, so Goose (the duck) has a crest. All of it's offspring will have crests then? If it turns out to be a boy then all of my future ducklings will have a crest?

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Okay, kinda not sure, but it sounds like I confused you a bit. Since Goose is alive, Goose has 1 dose. If he is bred to a non-crested duck, the ratio will be
50% (+/-) 1 dose Crest
50% (+/-) 0 dose straight

Latest posts