Critique as Corn Bread

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know what?

That old recipe was on a bag of Aunt Jemima cornmeal rather than Albers ..? Shoot! Found it just now on a Google search! Shoot! All I had to do was realize that there was more than one company selling cornmeal.

And, you know what? It doesn't look like such a special recipe Aunt Jemima has ;). Well! I still think I'll try Jeni Ann's recipe next time. :)

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine is similar;

1 C. cornmeal
1 C. all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 C. sugar

mix to combine dry ingredients.

1 egg...or 2
1 C. milk
1/4 C veg oil

Mix all ingredients till wet.

Set oven to 425*. Prepare cast iron skillet with some bacon grease. Pour mix over melted bacon grease.
Bake for 26 minutes...or till top is puffed up and a nice golden brown.

Remove from oven....and slather with real butter and some real honey. :drool

PS- extra goodies to add. Finely sliced jalapeno peppers, diced onions, 1/2 can cream corn, shredded cheddar cheese. This is excellent with red beans and rice :drool

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW likes it when I add crushed pineapple.

It seems kinda cruel to bring pineapple so far just for a simple dessert ;) ...

She had an idea when she suggested cornbread for Christmas. A can of Apricots. I resisted ... we already had all this dessert! Then, what I did make didn't turn out well ...

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW likes it when I add crushed pineapple.

It seems kinda cruel to bring pineapple so far just for a simple dessert ;) ...

She had an idea when she suggested cornbread for Christmas. A can of Apricots. I resisted ... we already had all this dessert! Then, what I did make didn't turn out well ...

Steve
Interesting!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I was a teency tyke......like 3 yrs old...I used to beg gramma to make me some cornbread. Now, considering that we lived in the city, and NEVER ate it.....(mom didn't really like to cook) .....I think it must have been the country roots showing. I think gramma made it a time or 2. She was the one who baked when she came over on the weekends.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom would make corn fritters at times.

She was pretty good as a baker altho given to cooking stuff just for its "healthful" properties.

What she cooked on top of the stove nearly always turned out either over-cooked or just burnt ...

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom must have thought that the family were gods as she gave burned offerings ! :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, a challenge for you bakers of cornbread.

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/carolina-outdoor-journal/

You can find it here but I'm wondering about that "pumpkin cornbread." Might just keep on, wondering ;). BTW, I have no idea what makes it "Mexican" cornbread. The whole kernels I used went through the blender, I used a full cup and put it in with the milk. Evaporated milk, so many eggs ... Good stuff :)!

BTW again! I enjoyed @Jeni Ann 's recipe! I tried Aunt Jemima's again and it doesn't measure up. Never got to the one in my original post or @moxies_chickienuggets 's similar. The "creaming" of my frozen cut-off the cob corn, made the one from Carolina Outdoors much like @baymule 's idea.

Steve :)

Latest posts