Cucumber unhappiness

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew Diva Cucs from seed this year. One plant is thriving, already has tiny little cucs on it. 3 others in another planter have died, and although one is doing sort of ok,many of it's leaves are dry and brown around the edges. I have replaced the dead ones with seedlings form a local nursery, but what do you think could be the problem?:(

(More info-all new soil and compost in the failed planter, same watering schedule as the successful plant.)

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
no visable bugs, and they are in a sunny,well drained spot. identical watering patterns of the happy plant.:(

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds as though it might be blight. That's a virus and there isn't much you can do except fertilize and hope it outgrows it. If it's blight you have to avoid planting cucumbers and related plants in that spot for several years.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to growing Diva one year.

It turned out to be a very cool June. Out of the 3 plants in the one hill that I planted -- I got 1 cucumber. Diva did the worse of all the varieties I grew that year. Tasty, but only 1 . . . :rolleyes:

This diva may have little fortitude, DG.

Cucumbers seem to appreciate an abundance of soil moisture. I plant mine closest to the sprinklers.

Steve

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So the one is thriving, the other seems to be makinga slight come back. If it is blight, should I pull it immediately? I also gave seedlings to a friend, and hers are ok so far...should I warn her, or...very confusing....:/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DesertGirl, I think of your environment as very similar to mine -- except that yours is drier and warmer. And, since we here are in the midst of a major rainstorm and cannot get out of the cool, wet, windy weather . . . a good deal drier and warmer.

Your corner of the world has had essentially no rain over the last month and your daytime highs are about to go up to 100 !!

As far as I know, blight in the cucumbers has never occurred in my garden.

If you don't mind the photo's, check out this information from Cornell on blight in cucurbits. Note what they say on prevention: well-drained soil, well-drained, well-drained, well . . .

You have told us that the plants are in well-drained soil. I would just give the cucumbers plentiful water especially now that it is getting HOT and see if they don't come out of this problem.

Minor diseases are out there in the natural plant world on an ongoing basis, just like they are out there ready to make life difficult for us if our own resistance is weakened. Before treating for infestations or infections or taking more drastic measures, making sure that the organism has some rest and adequate fluids is a first step. Chicken soup . . .

Steve