Cukes are ready!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't think any were ready and lost 3-4 to yellowing and mice eating them up! Gathered these up yesterday, cannot wait to make pickles!!
Store pickles are white on the inside and taste way too close to cucumbers, gross!! Ours are more acidic, you can taste the vinegar and we love em! Eat them up like candy. lol
I really need to make a huge cuke only garden!!

10518639_801244006575776_5940959041633200655_n.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found some cukes that were about 2.5 inches long in the garden yesterday, so it won't be long here, either. I don't intend to make pickles, but a fresh cuke occasionally is the taste of summer.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree @secuono, there's nothing like a home canned pickle! Wonder why the 'expert' pickle makers can't do that? :confused: I have a hard time fitting enough cucs in with my limited space so I do a pickle/salsa trade with a friend.

I grow a few eating cucs like @so lucky, shared my first one with the grandkids last night for dinner. Such an odd year, one 8" cuke and LOTS of blooms on 6 plants.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They look good!! Last year was a bad year for cukes here. Too much rain, I think. My plants looks healthy and full of flowers...so hopefully, pickles are in my future!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave up on cukes. I don't have room. Yours are beautiful and I know they will make some awesome pickles!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
They're in a 4x6ft area, taking up 5x6ft. Thought about getting them up a trellis, the pumpkin the dogs eat, the seeds come out and then in spring, the plants grow up the chainlink fence no help needed. Not sure if the cukes would figure it out on their own, too.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Secuono,
Your cukes look fantastic and I agree with you about store bought pickles. This year we have a big crop of beautiful dill, so we are going to freeze some for later use. Also, we have a small batch of garlic dills in the works. I read that you should crush the stems on the dill to get more flavor from it, so I am trying that also. Soon I will be hearing from my son that I sent Ava home reeking of the smell of garlic. Oh well, it could be worse.
jackb

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb what do you have going there? I am guessing fermented pickles, could you post the recipe and process that you are using? And where did you get the gizmo on top and the lid? I just always make sweet pickles.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay,
My wife bought me the unit a few years ago because we like to make small batches of pickles. It came from Perfect Pickler.
I use 4 cups of distilled water, 2 tablespoons of sea salt, garlic and dill. You could also add a tablespoon or two of vinegar if you prefer a more sour taste. They have a site with recipes if you would like to visit:
http://www.perfectpickler.com/

jackb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ate my first fresh from the garden cucumber, today!

That Talladega was so tasty, I told DW that it reminded me of ice cream. She laughed, over her half of the cucumber, but I was serious :).

I don't make pickles, like 'em but there is no way that I could match my usual cucumber use with pickles.

Steve :)

Latest posts