Cumberland black raspberries

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was told that cumberland black raspberries can tolerate growing near a black walnut tree. I was a raised bed about 25 feet away from my black walnut tree, and the darn tree has been wilting and stunting the growth of anything I plant on 1/2 the bed, the other 1/2 of the bed does just fine.

The bed get about 7 good hours of sunlight and some scattered sunlight the rest of the day. Do you think this would be a good area to plant black raspberries?
How much sunlight do they need? How much room do they need, and what type of soil do they light?
Any other raspberry growing tips would be amazing as well. Thank you!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know about Cumberland specifically, but I have yer basic generic wild-ish black raspberries growing and fruiting in a lot more shade than you're describing so in terms of light they should do FINE where you propose. It's apt to be a bit on the dry side, under the tree; there are various philosophies on how to handle that.

Raspberries do fine in any normal not-real-extreme not-real-compacted soil.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about that specific black raspberry variety, but this site says that black raspberries have been observed growing under black walnut trees. Maybe the juglone does not effect them. Juglone is a substance produced by the black walnut that is toxic to some plants.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1186/

Like Pat implied, the problem may be more that the walnut tree is sucking the moisture out of the ground more than the juglone problems, depending on what you are trying to grow there. Sounds like it is not directly under the canopy or it would get less light.

I grow red raspberries, not black, since I have them near blackberries. I saw a warning not to grow black raspberries and blackberries near each other. There is some disease they can share, I believe, but I have not looked it up recently and I don't trust my memory for those types of details to be able to say which one it is.

Good luck! Hope it works.

Latest posts