cwhit590's Garden Pics

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lavender2 said:
cwhit... Wow!... absolutely stunning landscaping ... perfectly natural! Love the stone retainer! Thanks for sharing your talent and beautiful gardens... and experience!

I grow much of the same plants, Snow in Summer is one of my favorite ground covers. I got hooked on Gloriosas a few years ago, they are so bright and fun!
I've had much trouble getting Cardinal flower going, fourth try, but I will not give up! ... would appreciate any tips you have.... !! :)
Hi Lavender2! :frow Another Zone 5er...:woot

I love the Snow in Summer...it's nice and colorful even when it's not in bloom. We first had it growing over the ground here and it was pretty scraggly...moved it over to the rock wall and....it loves it there! Funny

Love the Gloriosas. I just sit back, let them reseed all over, and enjoy the show.

Cardinal flower...I have it all over now! Ya want some? :p
Hmm...what is your soil like? Where have you tried planting it? What happened to them all? Cardinal flower is native to streams and wet areas...so they like moisture and rich soil. They can take full sun to shade. Mine does great in full sun in a well-drained garden soil with regular irrigation...you can't let them dry out! They like to be divided regularly too.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:

I love the Snow in Summer...it's nice and colorful even when it's not in bloom. We first had it growing over the ground here and it was pretty scraggly...moved it over to the rock wall and....it loves it there! Funny

Love the Gloriosas. I just sit back, let them reseed all over, and enjoy the show.

Hmm...what is your soil like? Where have you tried planting it? What happened to them all? Cardinal flower is native to streams and wet areas...so they like moisture and rich soil. They can take full sun to shade. Mine does great in full sun in a well-drained garden soil with regular irrigation...you can't let them dry out! They like to be divided regularly too.
Oh, I know!:p ... everyone can grow it but ME! :he
I grow the Great Blue Lobelia with no problem. I've tried it in a garden much like you describe, full sun, well drained but never dry. Also in my back per. bed which is part shade, VERY moist rich soil - everything grows there!

I've tried plants and seeds, started inside, outside and upside down... :lol:
Spring comes around... and nothing!... just gone...
I received a nice plant from a local swap in spring. It bloomed nicely and hopefully has dropped some seed. I'm afraid to touch it :rolleyes: I may stake off the area with crime scene tape...:lol:

BTW... Welcome! I have not been around here long myself... nice people! Now if life would stop interrupting! :D

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lavender2 said:
cwhit590 said:

Oh, I know!:p ... everyone can grow it but ME! :he
I grow the Great Blue Lobelia with no problem. I've tried it in a garden much like you describe, full sun, well drained but never dry. Also in my back per. bed which is part shade, VERY moist rich soil - everything grows there!

I've tried plants and seeds, started inside, outside and upside down... :lol:
Spring comes around... and nothing!... just gone...
I received a nice plant from a local swap in spring. It bloomed nicely and hopefully has dropped some seed. I'm afraid to touch it :rolleyes: I may stake off the area with crime scene tape...:lol:

BTW... Welcome! I have not been around here long myself... nice people! Now if life would stop interrupting! :D
Ok...whoa, whoa whoa...wait a minute....the Great Blue Lobelia works for you but the others don't? :lol: I'm the opposite! I have 4 kinds and the Great Blue is doing the worst! :gig weird...

The 4 kinds I have are:
'Fan Scarlet'
'Fan Burgundy'
Great Blue
and the wild type, Lobelia cardinalis

The 2 from the 'Fan' series are the ones that are all over. The flowers are very showy, having bigger petals than the species. I just planted my wild type lobelia last fall, but it did well and has formed a nice clump this year. The blues survive...they hardly get a foot tall...but they keep coming back despite looking 'runty'. Maybe they need more moisture. :idunno whatever....
I think I planted the 'Queen Victoria' variety before...it has scarlet flowers and deep red leaves...it fizzled out after the 1st or 2nd year for me tho....:hu

Are you trying to establish a wild-type Lobelia? or a named cultivar? maybe a cultivar would be less finicky? Hopefully the one you have survives....:fl

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:th... Your kidding! ... My Great Blues get 3 feet tall and bloom like mad.... :hu is right!
One Blue is in a very wet area... the other more well drained, dries quickly if I don't water. Both are in part shade.

Red... I've tried a Fan (something) and Queen Victoria plants, and the native (wild type) from seed- purchased.
I got the native to grow from seed, even got a few blooms the first year... and crawled on the ground for a long time looking for volunteers in Spring!:/ I thought the native might be more apt to self seed.... might have get some Fan type in Spring again!

It's just one of those plants I HAVE to have! Thanks for the tips and encouragement! I look forward to seeing more of your blooms!

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lavender - I've never had my lobelia self-seed (that I'm aware of). I just keep dividing them and they just keep multiplying...don't give up on your lobelia project!

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Found some more pics from this season...:p

I like to try different annuals each year...this year, a new one for me was sweet peas. I planted the 'Old Spice' mix and some other dwarf mix. They did great, and I think I'm hooked on them now. :love I didn't save seed :/ but some seedlings have been popping up this fall...so maybe some more will come up next spring? :hu I'll make sure to get another packet just in case. ;)

I planted them with zinnias and some volunteer cleome...
6546_dscn7436.jpg

I planted them between our little boxwoods (it was the only space available, lol)...kinda weird looking, but whatever...they're just annuals...:lol:....we have hostas there now anyway...
6546_dscn7437.jpg

I trimmed them back a few times and they just kept blooming - and they have a LOVELY fragrance. When it was time to rip the plants out I was able to collect 2 mug-fuls of flowers. :)
6546_dscn7529.jpg

6546_dscn7528.jpg

Oh yeah, found another pic of the backyard from this summer...
6546_dscn7509.jpg

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i love sweet peas but they are apparently on my "cannot grow" list for some reason. those and the regular old ferns that everyone have n their porchs. which is fine b/c i dont like those anyway. so there.