Dahlias

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know it's still early yet for most Dahlia enthusiasts to start planting their tubers....I have a a few pots started (for a customer)....very mild Winter so far in Northern Michigan.....can't wait to start planting tubers in the ground.....here is another photo to help remind us of what we'll have later this year.....my best to all, Rusty
7566_dahlias_2011_007.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, named or maybe even grown by Lord Kelvin.

With that color, it couldn't be anywhere close to his lower limit to temperature, absolute zero.

Thank you for turning on the "floodlight!"

Steve :cool:
now please don't tell me that i've got it wrong . . .

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You got it Steve......"Kelvin Floodlight"....I also grow "Kelvin White".....and the pots I've got started are "Pippi"....one of my favorite variegated varieties.....
7566_dahlias_2011_005.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!

I like the variegated! Of, just any color . . . but, that one is stunning!

:cool:

S'

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve, I'll send you a few variegated varieties this Spring.....I had planted about 30 Pippis this last year and probably have about 200 tubers of that variety. I also have a mutation from Pippi which I call "Apricot Pippi"....
7566_dahlias_2011_001.jpg

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks lesa......here is another variety called "Strawberry Ice".....I'm helping my friend's daughter with her wedding flowers in August and she wants pastel pink and white Dahlias....this is one of the varieties that I'll use....hoping I have a great growing season.....:)..... "Strawberry Ice".....
7566_dahlias_2011_010.jpg

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That Strawberry Ice is beautiful! Love the pics.

So how is this year looking for you Rusty? Have you been able to replenish some of what you lost?

As I mentioned a long time ago in this thread, I'll be selling cut flowers and veggies at the local farmers market this summer...looking at your pictures again makes me want to try a few dahlias this year. :) But with so many beautiful varieties....which ones to choose?!? :p

Rusty, are the dahlias much work in the field? Any issues w/ pests or anything?

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cwhit.....Everything is looking good.... Tubers are all doing fine.....I've probably got about 500-600-- Lbs. of tubers.....Lots of friends are sending me varieties that I'd lost...plus I'm getting 12-15 new or old varieties that I once had for this growing season as well. There are over 40,000 recognized varieties of Dahlias....so choosing will be hard for anyone getting started in Dahlias. I have had over 250 varieties.....will prob. plant about 100 or so varieties this year....about 1,500 plants. Dahlia Care:.....low nitrogen fert. .........pinch the new growth on the plant after the third set of new leaves are forming.....you'll get a much bushier and healthier plant. Watch for slugs and earwigs.....both are ROYAL pains....:/ Dahlias will take at least 1 inch of water per week....more in hot, dry climates. The more blooms you cut....the more blooms they will produce.....the 4-5 inch blooms sell the best at the Markets....a few larger ones do sometimes as well....My Market seems to draw in the Giant (10-12 inch) bloom customers.....the blooms come in MANY forms and sizes.....If I can help you out or help you with a grower in your area....give me a yell! I have had Dahlias since 1962...I was very young at the time and the first ones were from my Grandma McClure......sweet lady.....I've had them ever since....except my college years.....This is a variety called "Neon Splendor"...very popular at the shows and markets.....
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_039.jpg
......another "Neon Splendor"....
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_040.jpg

scotexpat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Haven't been on here for a while,but have a question for Rusty.First of all your Dahlia's are absolutely stunning,you've got me all fired up to get more.
I pulled my Dahlias from storage and they are all looking very good,no rot or dried up Tubers. Should I start them in Pots now in zone 5 Ontario?
I have a terrible time with Earwigs ,have you any suggestions to keep them under control,they really destroyed a lot of my Blooms last Year,and we have restrictions on insecticides and pesticides up here.Your Foliage looks great, no Bug holes.

Latest posts