deer flies

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
do not know about the rest of you but the deer flies are biting mad here.
was mowing this evening and was bit 4 times, then took ava for a walk and was nailed another 5 times, think covered in deet all it does , is make the them more pissed off. anyone else having problems?

what's the next step tyvek suits while going outside for a evening walk?????

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
mosquitos here. Sounds like a jet plane zeroing in when I go to weed garden. With all the rain, it needs weeded.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
mosquitos here. Sounds like a jet plane zeroing in when I go to weed garden. With all the rain, it needs weeded.
lol....last week had to go out to out otr storage yard and throw rock salt in every tire, they had a field day with me. thank goodness only have do that once a year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a "Does It Work?" segment on our local TV station this week. They were testing an insect repellent called "buggins" I think. They gave it a good grade because they said it really works well on buffalo gnats. I don't know about deer flies and mosquitos, but I bet it would work on them too. It is supposed to be non-toxic to humans. It didn't get a perfect score due to the odor. (Like deet smells good?) I'm gonna try to find some, but apparently it is hard to find, now. :(

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Deer ticks here. Got three this week - not good because of Lyme disease. Will have to keep an eye on it or go for antibiotics. Mosquitos here too (especially will so much rain), but not as risky as deer ticks.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Majorcatfish, you might laugh, but spray yourself with vanilla, or dab it on liberally. It keeps buffalo gnats off and chiggers, might work on deer flies too.