Do you buy plants or start from seed? Where do you buy?

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Seeds, as many of them heirlooms as possible. I buy most seeds from Baker's Creek/Rareseed but tried some from Landreth and Shumway in the last 2 years. Heirlooms allow me to save seeds, so that a one-time investment in seed gives me many years of continued use. It takes a bit of gardenspace to let lettuce, kale, spinach and so one go to seed, but the reward in seed quality is high. Of course, saving seeds from tomatos, cukes, etc. is easy.

I use gallon milk jugs to start seeds (google winter sow'n) but also start many plants in my small greenhouse. Starting your own and saving seeds adds up to a lot of savings. But, I always start more than I will use, as insurance against losses such as rabbits, cutworms, etc., and share all leftovers with my mom or co-workers. I took 50+ random tomato plants, plus herbs, cukes, peppers and so on, in to work Friday. I brought home 7 straggly tomato plants, and know that not everyone saw the e-mail telling the plants were available....

I still buy some plants, mostly flowers to create my own hanging baskets. Have you ever seen how ridiculously tiny petunia and impatient seeds are? I would say the name "impatient" is VERY appropriate after trying to sow them!!!!

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I start from seed. We have 2, 3 shelf grow carts in our basement. We buy our seeds mainly from Jung's and Gurney's with good luck. I would like to start saving seed but have not started to do that yet.

Latest posts