Do You Cut Lavender Back in Spring?

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have a lavender plant that has gotten fairly large, and I'm wondering whether I should trim it back this spring, and if so, how far?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BetterHensandGardens said:
I have a lavender plant that has gotten fairly large, and I'm wondering whether I should trim it back this spring, and if so, how far?
I usually just let the new growth come in and then after it, if there is any dead wood i'll prune those out. I was thinking of pruning my lavendar plants today also but for the plants sake i left it alone.

Here's what i found :D .

"Pruning a lavender bush to the point where it has no foliage will most likely kill it. You can try pruning in increments. In spring, cut back by 1/3 to stimulate new growth. After new foliage has grown in, cut back by 1/3 again to stimulate new growth at base of the plant. If new growth does come, prune back to just above the new growth. Never prune out old wood unless it is completely dead".

Hope this helps!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, just wait til you can tell the dead from the living; lop the former off and leave the latter :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, this probably saved the poor thing. I was wanting to prune it back to the ground like I do with many of the perennials, and I probably would have killed it!

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, thanks to everyone's advice, the lavender did great and now I'm trying to find other uses for it besides bouquets and sachets. I found instructions for a "lavender wand" for moth protection and tried it - really like the results so instructions for making lavender wands are here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/09/08/lavender-wand-moth-repellant/ They do take a bit of time to make, but I still love the result!

craftsmaster

Sprout
Reaction score
BetterHensandGardens said:
This plant is drought-tolerant, making it easy to care for. Don't try to start this herb from seed, though. Your best bet is to go to your nursery to buy a flat of small plants that were cuttings from another plant.

If you insist on trying your hand at starting lavender from seed, then grow the seeds in small pots early in the spring. The drawback with this method is that the seeds may die before they fully germinate.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great adivce Craftmaster. However I am in the seed sales business and for some reason lavender and rosemary seeds are very popular. I will though tell customers that I see buying those seeds that they will be happier and much better success if they just spend a few bucks and buy a plant.

I don't want to discourage people but i do want them to have a rerwarding gardening experience. There are many seeds available to buy but some of them are best left to them most experienced gardeners. :)

Latest posts