Do you forage in the city?

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like to keep an eye out for fruits on city property that I can forage from. Last year, I went to the co-operative extension office and picked the crabapples from their trees to make crabapple jelly. They said that I was the first one to ever do that at their office location. I self-appointed myself the title of "The Suburban Forager" after that.

Last year I also found two golden crabapple trees downtown on a median strip after I already had the ones mentioned above. The golden ones are much larger and really looked good, however the city didn't think so and has cut the trees down and planted grass.

I wasn't upset about my supply of golden crabapples being gone because I would just find another source. I did! While riding down Cavalier Boulevard in Portsmouth, I noticed that the trees in the center median were two types of crabapple trees! This median is about a half a mile long with dozens of crabapple trees, so I knew I found my new source for golden crabapples. The second day after Hurricane Irene passed through, I went out there with a clean 5 gallon bucket and picked 12 pounds of golden crabapples with a few red ones in the mix. I was out there for over an hour just picking the crabapples and no one said anything. Not even "What are you doing that for?". (I rather wish they had so I could share the information about the jelly.) Now I'll split them into two batches to cook on the stovetop to get them ready for the old food mill I use for applesauce. After I run them through there, they go into the jelly bags and get processed until I have jars of jelly.

There's an old pear tree on the land of a four unit apartment house near our neighborhood. When they're ready, I'm planning on checking out those pears for pear butter! The manager of the apartment doesn't care if they are taken.

What have you been able to forage from public or private land that isn't yours? I'm always looking for more ideas for free food. Wouldn't it be great if the city would plant fruit trees on the vacant lots that have been empty for decades? Might as well use it for something!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here in New Orleans many people keep citrus trees. I can see 3 or 4 from my back porch, and plan on talking to the owners once the fruit (grapefruit and oranges) ripens up. Often you can find citrus overhanging fences along the sidewalk.

Loquats and bananas can be found the same way. If I have to cross a property line, I'll talk to the residents, but if it's hanging over a sidewalk, it's fair game.

I have a garden in my backyard, right on the fences. As far as I'm concerned, anything that ripens up on the other side of the fence is for my neighbors. I did have to tell them what a cucumber was for, tho ("...Do you cook 'em?").

There are medians and parks that have huge beds of daylilies planted.

There are flocks of muscovy ducks in the canals and the bayous. Come homelessness or The Fall of Civilization, I'm'a pen up a few.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are both inspirations!!

I'm glad you mentioned daylilies, Joz. Now I don't feel silly admitting to harvesting iris that people throw out, that naturalize or nearly. The usual place is below homes on a hillside or along the river.

Down on the river, there is asparagus. Used to get that regularly. Until it finally got thru to me that there is heavy metal contamination along the banks since the watershed drains a mining district. Ah well . . . might be available on other river banks, I'd bet!

Pine needles . . . have a nearby park where I regularly rake the pine needles for insulation use in the fall and composting, come spring. I don't suppose the park workers mind in the least.

Steve

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Along the same lines, someone in Denver has started an organization to gather food that would otherwise go to waste, and deliver it to those who need it: http://yardharvest.org/

You register your apple tree (for example) and then give them a call when the fruit is ripe. They send out volunteers to pick the fruit, leave you some (if you want) and donate the rest.

-Wendy

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
Along the same lines, someone in Denver has started an organization to gather food that would otherwise go to waste, and deliver it to those who need it: http://yardharvest.org/

You register your apple tree (for example) and then give them a call when the fruit is ripe. They send out volunteers to pick the fruit, leave you some (if you want) and donate the rest.

-Wendy
There are similar groups in my area as well. I am on the pickers list for both of them. Some fruit/produce is sent entirely to the food banks, other times it is shared equally between the property owner, the pickers and the foodbank.
Examples of picks include pears, apples, tomatoes, grapes, pumpkins. I've also heard of forages for wild leeks and berries.

Years ago, I used to pick water cress and fiddlehead ferns in a stream and currants on an abandoned farm but now these picking areas have been bulldozed and replaced by housing subdivisions. :(

Latest posts