Do you grow things purposely for the neighbors?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are some things in my garden that I grow a lot more than necessary for my own use just so I have some for the neighbors.
Cilantro is an example. I use only a limited amount but keep a large section in my garden planted to it because my Mexican neighbors use it by the pound. It has to be continuously planted in new spots because it is only at it's prime when it is young and goes to seed fast but it seems to be good for the ground. I don't see it diminishing the soil fertility and I just like to grow things and see people enjoying them. I let quite a bit of it blossom because my predatory insects like the flowers.

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, I do as well. Last year I grew lots of hot peppers for coworkers while I don't have much of a love for spicy things!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I try to grow as much extra as I can... some for us, some to sell, some to trade, some for the neighbors if they'd like and I really try to grow a bit extra to drop off at the local food bank. To continue this craziness.... I need MORE garden this year! LOL

My biggest 'share' item though, like hoodat, is herbs.... mainly basil. I grow a lot of basil and a few different kinds so that I can give it away. Sometimes I go as far as making pesto and packaging that up to share.

We also mainly share tomatoes, peppers and carrots. Pretty much everything else we grow is only enough for us. :( Was hoping we had $$$ in the budget this year to add 3 more raised beds, but we do not. So going to till up where they 'would' have gone, and do a planting of sweet corn this year. I wanted it tilled months ago, so I hope it works out in time to get the corn in the ground. We should have PLENTY to share this year. :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting question. It calls for a little thought. I never know exactly how much of anything I will produce. I try to plant enough without going overboard. Enough to me often means enough to can or freeze, not just use fresh. Once I've preserved what I need, there is often a lot extra.

I find that if something produces well, it produces well and I have more than enough. If it does not produce well, I could have planted twice as much and it still won't be enough. So I try to not plant too much. It really does not do me any good, takes up space, and is more work.

I share the bounty where I can. It's not hard to find someone to take extra homegrown tomatoes, but many people really don't want summer squash. My chickens do though. Depending on what it is, I have contributed to a church program that feeds the needy, but I do not plant with that in mind. I usually don't plant extra specifically for anyone else, but last season I grew some of those small decorative gourds for my sister-in-law that wanted them for an craft project. I once planted some yellow pear tomatoes that I don't like at all for a specific friend that loved them, but due to cancer treatment he was not around to eat them that summer. He's not around at all now.

So I guess my answer is "occasionally" but not regularly.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow a little bit of a lot of things....except my Dahlias.... I try and share the extra produce that I have....I sell some...trade some.....with the dahlias I've probably given more bouquets to passersby than I've ever sold.....If you have a good product and grow something that people want and can use....it's the "Good Neighbor" thing to share in the harvest.:) Some of the Dahlia Garden...
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_030.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
I grow a little bit of a lot of things....except my Dahlias.... I try and share the extra produce that I have....I sell some...trade some.....with the dahlias I've probably given more bouquets to passersby than I've ever sold.....If you have a good product and grow something that people want and can use....it's the "Good Neighbor" thing to share in the harvest.:) Some of the Dahlia Garden...http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_030.jpg
LOVE!!!!!! :p

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I try to grow extra onions and peppers for my folks. Who also are my neighebors. The least I can do since they did raise me!

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
I grow a little bit of a lot of things....except my Dahlias.... I try and share the extra produce that I have....I sell some...trade some.....with the dahlias I've probably given more bouquets to passersby than I've ever sold.....If you have a good product and grow something that people want and can use....it's the "Good Neighbor" thing to share in the harvest.:) Some of the Dahlia Garden...http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_030.jpg
WOW! I love that garden. I've only been doing veggies but have my heart set on a flower garden that is HUGE like that one.

Oh if I could just retire early I could do everything I want. I also grow extra for my friends and neighbors. I even added extra chickens in the egg house so I could supply my very best friends with fresh eggs.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sure do! Our next door neighbors are also our landlords and very dear friends. They are beyond generous with us, and we try to return the favor in whatever way we can. We raise chickens and give them fresh eggs whenever they ask, usually about a dozen a week.

Our landlord really loves salads and enjoys fresh radishes on his salads. Hubby and I like radishes okay enough but don't eat enough of them to justify growing them, but we are planting a patch of 2 kinds of radishes this year just for the landlords. They've been wonderful to us, and the least I can do is see to it that they won't have to buy any produce that I can grow.

Latest posts