Do you stratify? If so what?

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
After a couple of years of poor germination of pansy and viola seeds, I decided to start with new starter cells and new seed. The back of the seed packets said to chill for 24 hours prior to planting. My old seed packets didn't. I figured what did I have to lose. So I put them in the refrigerator as directed. A week later I have sprouts. According to the package, since they are hybrids they will sprout faster.
My question to all of you is, do you stratify seeds, if so, which ones? This is a new concept to me and I have been trying to research it. I have read the other thread on here too. Thanks in advance for your help!

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thought it was best to keep all seeds in the refrigerator all the time, for longevity so that's what I've always done. I've had pretty good crops from seeds that were 8-10 years old :hide

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it was best to keep all seeds in the refrigerator all the time, for longevity so that's what I've always done. I've had pretty good crops from seeds that were 8-10 years old :hide

That's what I do too, except in the freezer.

Usually it will be things that have a very hard seed coat. Baptista is one I can think of off-hand. The Winterberry seeds Nyboy gave me require cold stratification as well. Some things will also require a period of cold AND moisture or a method of scarification to help break into the seed coat as well.

ETA: Here's a pretty extensive list of perennials that require cold stratification that I just found online.

Also, I happened to read an article in an e-magazine this morning about a simple method of wintersowing in repurposed milk jugs, if you want to check that out. From Scratch Magazine, Feb/March 2014, on pg. 28, a neat little homesteading e-magazine I found today.

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pansy/Viola seed has a pretty short shelf life, even in the best conditions germination rate drops off within a year or two.

I don't know of any vegetable seed that MUST have stratification, but you got my curiosity up and I just had to go poking around. This is very general, but interesting - Stratification

Most annuals I have grown don't need special treatment. There are many perennials that need or prefer cold treatment, especially some of the natives and wildflowers.

Methods vary so much for the different seeds, but some that I have 'treated'...
Morning glory - scar
Baptisia - chill and scar
Cleome - chill
Lavender - moist chill
Liatris - moist chill
Cup and saucer vine - scar
.. and now I would have to dig out my notes ... :D
Park Seeds and Stokes are good resources also.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
And then, there are CLOUDBERRY seeds. They need bleaching, a warm rest, and then stratification before they agree to do anything, maybe. Patience, patience, patience. This is tough.

Latest posts