Does anyone grow cinerarias?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to get cinerarias as a pot plant to sell in the florist I worked at. Pretty daisy-like plant but not a robust one. Now I see them at Walmart in the garden section, as if they are to be set out like a gerbera daisy. They are in gorgeous neon colors-magenta, purple, blue- and the leaf is a little different than I remember, less hairy, I think. Is this one more plant that no living soul can keep in the garden, but which Walmart uses to sucker you in? Or does someone on the forum have good experiences with this plant?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky, I don't grow cinerarias but I see them growing all over here in Alameda. They are always in part shade. They are beautiful and I just don't have any room in my shady garden.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did a little reading on them. They are pretty temperamental, worse than me on temperatures! Not too cool, not above 60, not full sun, etc. Guess that's why there was an equally large display of dying cinerarias at Walmart, too. :( Pretty sure I won't try them.

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
as well as i know the grow of the cinerarias is quite a good task. One of my friend had grown it and had got a good success in that. so looking froward to it for the positive results.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to grow them, and the plant was OK, but it just got bigger and bigger and did not produce any flowers, so I gave up the project. I still have the seeds, and may try them again, along with some Carnations I started in June, as they need similar conditions. So far, the Carnations are growing slowly, but I think they are not as fussy as Cinerarias. Ava wants to try to color these purple and "rainbow" colors, but I don't expect flowers until about Christmas. This should be an interesting project.

CARNATIONS.jpg