Does this bee setup sound like a good deal?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a beekeeper on Craigslist whose ad I responded to. He's offering a setup of
wooden ware ( bottom board, 3 deep boxes, frames, top, and a 5 frame nuc. ).
Also included is a site evaluation, delivery and setup. If I respond early, like really soon, I can get on the guarantee list. This includes a for sure of receiving bees this spring, and a 30 day guarantee on the bees and queen. He also comes out early (before spring) and does the site evaluation.

He also is available for consultation for $50 /hour. And you can have others (neighbors, friends) at the consultation for no extra charge.

I think I'm going to go for it. There also happens to be a full day introduction to beekeeping at the county extension on Feb. 14 that i want to get in on.

So what do you guys think?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you get some info on him, as to his experience and references, etc? This sounds like a good opportunity, depending on the price, I guess.
And is the site evaluation prior to giving him money? Like if your site isn't appropriate, are you obligated to follow through with the deal?
How great to get going on bee hives!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds good, but there is probably a beekeeping club in your area? Your county extension agent should be able to put you in contact with them. Is he a member in good standing with that organization?

There are probably state laws or regulations about bee keeping. Here in Arkansas you have to notify any registered bee keeper within 1 mile of your intention to get bees. That's to help control diseases and especially the spread of mites.

Are his bees certified disease and mite free? Is that part of the guarantee? Here the state will inspect the bees if asked?

You need a mentor on how to take care of bees. Someone in that beekeeping club will probably help you with that. The beekeeping club here in this area has some really nice people in it. You probably need to join your local club and go to a few meetings, at least to get started. You should be able to get equipment from members at a good price. Maybe even more important they can tell you what equipment you really need.

My gut feel is go for it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, so far I only know what he says about himself. He does say he has several clients in my town, so I agree it would be a good idea to ask for references.
Good idea on asking about a charge for the site eval if it turns out to be negative (which I don't expect it to realistically).
I have seen 5 frame nucs advertised for $125.

Good question about the certification of his bees Ridge. I would be receiving the bees themselves in May, so I do have time to gather information. If I can still get into that class at the cooperative extension that should help with the decision. The beek may want a deposit if I intend to be on his "guarantee list".

These questions are great, thanks you guys! Anything else I may be overlooking?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's one of his ads, he also had a part one a few weeks ago. He seems to be interested in also educating people. CL AD
Oh, and after I read it once again, he charges $25/ hour for any additional consulting past the first hour.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
He sounds very knowledgeable and for a get-up-and-go package, I think the price is fair. I'd want to get some references upfront or at least find out if he is a faithful member of a state or local bee club. Many of these guys have been in the bee business for years. Bees tend to multiply very quickly if you are good at it. Between splits and swarms, you could potentially find yourself with dozens of hives in several years if you keep them all. That's how most beeks get into selling nucs and packages.

There may be better ways to go about this, depending on how soon you are wanting to start, without paying for all the consultation and stuff. From what I can tell from the ad, you will still need to purchase a hat and veil (minimum protective gear), beesuit, gloves, a smoker (definite must), hive tool (must have), etc. All of that will add an additional $150 or so. You can get your woodenware cheaper too by purchasing it yourself. I use Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, but you may want to find a supplier nearer to your end of the country because of the cost of shipping such heavy materials. For that price too, I would want to know if the woodenware was already assembled.

Start up with bees begins in early April here if you are installing a nuc or package. If you need to assemble woodenware, now is the time to be doing that. It is not a bad price he is offering to get you up and running right away, but you may want to consider taking a little more time to research first.

You can easily spend a year reading books about bees (maybe you've already done that) and attending beekeeping meetings. Dues are very reasonable ($6/year here.) You don't have to already have bees to join. :) And really, they like it if you come and learn about bees and ask them lots of questions before you are fully immersed in the experience of keeping bees. My club meets every other month. Each meeting covers a seasonal beekeeping topic, taught by an experienced member, using powerpoint and with handouts to take home. There is quite a lot to it, and there is a lot of learning that it is best to do beforehand to know what you are getting into.

One thing about the consultations and hive inspections--you can take a beekeeping course through your club or ag extension service for free or cheap. They will walk you through everything hands on. You can also consult with your bee club's experienced members for free. They LOVE to help and share info. They literally want everyone to be crazy about the bees. :) You can also get in on bulk buying of equipment orders and save a LOT of money. They will also likely have an extractor that you can borrow in turn for free at honey harvest time.

I am seeing 5-frame nucs going for $150 here. A nuc is going to get you off to a good strong start. Another option is package bees, usually running around $80. Slightly fewer bees and no drawn comb/honey stores/pollen/brood with them starting off, which is why they are cheaper. You have to really feed package bees until the nectar flow gets going in spring so they can build up, but they get going quickly if all is well. You do want to get certified disease/pest free bees (most states require this for bees sold) and very important--you want gentle bees as you are starting out. Nothing can ruin your fun quicker than a mean hive.

My state ag dept also does hive inspections for disease/mites/beetles/etc. for free as well. They have a lot at stake keeping the bee population healthy and flourishing for pollination. I would expect every state ag dept will do these inspections for free. Here we just call them and they'll come right out. My state also requires you to register your apiary, no charge here. There may be other state and local laws. The dept. of agriculture can fill you in on that. Sometimes additional hazard insurance may be required on your homeowner's insurance as well.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Journey, there is a good bit to know.

The woodenware is all assembled. He brings it all and sets it up with the bees.

I'm going to do some noodling around and see if I can get some answers to these questions, and come to a decision. Thanks for all the info, that's a great help.

What would I do without my TEG friends?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm excited for you thistle. The worst that can happen is that you invested a couple hundred dollars. I think it's worth the risk. Journey has sure given you alot of useful information. Can't wait to hear about your bee endeavors!

Mary (who wishes she could have bees. :()

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he is doing turn key bee set ups for people. What better way than to encourage other beekeepers that to set it up and provide back up for newbies? All the above posts bring out very good points. Whether you get bees from this guy or some other source, I think it's great that you want bees. And BYH has a new bee forum too!