Don't Make Them Like They Use to

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday my father had to bring his riding mower to the shop. A belt needed to be changed, the guys in the shop ( all very young) couldn't believe what my father bought in. In almost prefect shape a 1962 sears riding mower. In all the years of use it has only needed blades and belts. What I found sad is younger people don't expect things to be well built and last. It is normal to them for things to be replaced after only a couple of years. They had a hard time believing something if taken care of could last decades. Washing machines, phones, fridges, are all things that I have had to replace after only a couple of years. When I was a kid, it was rare to replace these things.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with you on this. I think there are different reasons. I think part of it is workmanship, not that people don't try to build things right but a whole lot of that process is now by machines, not people. Machines just don't have any pride in workmanship.

Part of it is all these new wonder materials. They carefully select the absolute best material for the use, which means the less expensive. Plastic just doesn't last as long as steel in moving applications where you have abrasion or stress. They need to reduce weight as well as costs so they use less durable materials.

There are a lot more moving parts now on practically anything. I'll use a car as an example. In the 50's a car was built with steel and was heavy. Most probably had a radio but air conditioning, power steering, power windows, power brakes, all that were really rare. There are now a lot of different things that can go wrong. We seldom get an appliance or mower that just does what we get it for. Everything has to have a lot of options.

I'm an engineer. I'm often embarrassed at the engineering that goes into a lot of today's products. That not only means how they are put together but the materials used. Plastic gears? Really? I think a lot of the "design" is really done by the guys in marketing, not by real engineers.

The purpose of these things is generally not to do what they are supposed to do. The real purpose is to get someone to buy it. That's why we get all these useless options on a lot of stuff. It can do this, it can do that. Is that why you are buying it? Wouldn't it be nice if it just did what it was supposed to do?

Then there is management. People get promoted by increasing profit. That means increasing income or reducing outgo. The person that cuts corners but increases profits will get promoted ahead of someone that does things the right way because the right way costs more. They are not looking at the long term. A manager in a decent sized company will often be in position for only a year or two before they are promoted or moved. They don't have to live with the long term consequences of their decisions. I used to work for Texaco. We had a cycle of managers. Someone would come in and invest nothing. They would not give us money to maintain the facilities. They would invest in very few new projects because those cost money. They would reduce payroll by getting rid of people involved in maintenance. They would look for ways to not pay legitimate invoices as timely as they should, looking for things to dispute. just by delaying paying legitimate expenses they could show a better cash flow. Their profits looked great so they would get a big promotion and move up the corporate ladder. The next manager would come into a real mess. The facilities were falling part. Moral of the employees was bad. Often community relations were not great. That manager would have to spend bigtime money to get things working right. it was a cycle: good manager, bad manager, good manager. Corporate knew what was going on too because they had designated managers to come in and clean up the mess the ones on the fast track to higher positions made. The ones the top were the ones that made the messes and they were not dumb. I think that management cycle was a big part of why Chevron took over Texaco. I did not see that management cycle at Chevron nearly as much. Shell, Chevron, Exxon, the big oil companies that lasted took a more balanced approach.

I don't know if that makes sense, but I was trying to explain why I think managers willing to cut corners to get promoted is a factor in why they don't build them like they used to. And yes, I'm still kind of bitter about some of those managers.

Experienced employees cost more than rookies. it's not that unusual for companies to get rid of more experienced employees so they can hire cheaper people. A common place lately I see that is school systems. They offer incentives for older teachers to take early retirement so they can hire less expensive new college graduates. A local school system just did that and they will save millions. Or like Texaco did, they dropped from 85,000 employees to 17,000 employees and hired contractors to do the jobs those former employees did because they did not have to pay contract employees benefits. Often these were the same people.

I'm sure I'm missing some things but I think it all factors into why They don't build them like they used to. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with you on this. I think there are different reasons. I think part of it is workmanship, not that people don't try to build things right but a whole lot of that process is now by machines, not people. Machines just don't have any pride in workmanship.

Part of it is all these new wonder materials. They carefully select the absolute best material for the use, which means the less expensive. Plastic just doesn't last as long as steel in moving applications where you have abrasion or stress. They need to reduce weight as well as costs so they use less durable materials.

There are a lot more moving parts now on practically anything. I'll use a car as an example. In the 50's a car was built with steel and was heavy. Most probably had a radio but air conditioning, power steering, power windows, power brakes, all that were really rare. There are now a lot of different things that can go wrong. We seldom get an appliance or mower that just does what we get it for. Everything has to have a lot of options.

I'm an engineer. I'm often embarrassed at the engineering that goes into a lot of today's products. That not only means how they are put together but the materials used. Plastic gears? Really? I think a lot of the "design" is really done by the guys in marketing, not by real engineers.

The purpose of these things is generally not to do what they are supposed to do. The real purpose is to get someone to buy it. That's why we get all these useless options on a lot of stuff. It can do this, it can do that. Is that why you are buying it? Wouldn't it be nice if it just did what it was supposed to do?

Then there is management. People get promoted by increasing profit. That means increasing income or reducing outgo. The person that cuts corners but increases profits will get promoted ahead of someone that does things the right way because the right way costs more. They are not looking at the long term. A manager in a decent sized company will often be in position for only a year or two before they are promoted or moved. They don't have to live with the long term consequences of their decisions. I used to work for Texaco. We had a cycle of managers. Someone would come in and invest nothing. They would not give us money to maintain the facilities. They would invest in very few new projects because those cost money. They would reduce payroll by getting rid of people involved in maintenance. They would look for ways to not pay legitimate invoices as timely as they should, looking for things to dispute. just by delaying paying legitimate expenses they could show a better cash flow. Their profits looked great so they would get a big promotion and move up the corporate ladder. The next manager would come into a real mess. The facilities were falling part. Moral of the employees was bad. Often community relations were not great. That manager would have to spend bigtime money to get things working right. it was a cycle: good manager, bad manager, good manager. Corporate knew what was going on too because they had designated managers to come in and clean up the mess the ones on the fast track to higher positions made. The ones the top were the ones that made the messes and they were not dumb. I think that management cycle was a big part of why Chevron took over Texaco. I did not see that management cycle at Chevron nearly as much. Shell, Chevron, Exxon, the big oil companies that lasted took a more balanced approach.

I don't know if that makes sense, but I was trying to explain why I think managers willing to cut corners to get promoted is a factor in why they don't build them like they used to. And yes, I'm still kind of bitter about some of those managers.

Experienced employees cost more than rookies. it's not that unusual for companies to get rid of more experienced employees so they can hire cheaper people. A common place lately I see that is school systems. They offer incentives for older teachers to take early retirement so they can hire less expensive new college graduates. A local school system just did that and they will save millions. Or like Texaco did, they dropped from 85,000 employees to 17,000 employees and hired contractors to do the jobs those former employees did because they did not have to pay contract employees benefits. Often these were the same people.

I'm sure I'm missing some things but I think it all factors into why They don't build them like they used to. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Sounds all too familiar to me.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
And then there's planned obsolescence. If your washing machine is only designed to last 5 years, you will have to replace it, keeping the factory pumping out more, salesmen selling more, workers maintaining their jobs (Maybe in China). Just think how the economy would crash if things lasted like they did in the "good old days."

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What gripes me is all the gadgets. I don't even know how to use all that crap! Why can't I find a TV/toaster oven/stove/washer/dryer/dishwasher/refrigerator that is NOT digital display! I want KNOBS!! That TURN!! OFF!!! ON!!! :somad And don't get me started on electronic strikers for gas appliances!! That includes gas hot water heaters! :tongue:he:rant :duc :barnie

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On the subject of lawn tractors not lasting as long as your Pop's; I took a load of scrap in yesterday. They were loading a truck going to the shreader and I had to wait to get my trailer unloaded.
This yard has a pile of scrap maybe 30' high and 200' square, using a crain with a clamshell that opens up to a 6' spread.
The operator dips the clam into the mound of scrap and closes it, swings over the truck and deposits said scrap in trailer, this thing lifts a car with no strain.
Anyway I'll bet in the 5 min. I watched there were no less than 10 lawn tractors sent to the shreader with lots more in the pile when I left.
I always love showing up there just to see all their neat stuff!!!

THANX RICH

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
And then there's planned obsolescence. If your washing machine is only designed to last 5 years, you will have to replace it, keeping the factory pumping out more, salesmen selling more, workers maintaining their jobs (Maybe in China). Just think how the economy would crash if things lasted like they did in the "good old days."
So true... My DH said the same thing recently: things seem to be made not last, because if they do, people would buy less stuff.

I would just love to find a pair of shoes that will last longer than a few months. Whether I buy cheap or expensive shoes, I have to replace them in under a year. Granted, I love walking and I do it often, but still, if I spent a small fortune on a pair of boots I expect it to last longer than the pair I could've bought for a 1/10th of the price!

DH bought an expensive inverter a few years ago, so we can run some lights when the electricity goes off. The inverter died after the 3rd power failure. We took it back to the shop where we were told because it's locally (South Africa) made, it doesn't have a guarantee! DH threw his toys, so they reluctantly gave us a replacement, which died after 4 power failures... We buy Chinese imports now.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sumi I agree on shoes. I bought a pair of Gucci flip flops online from gucci outlet. When they came my first thought was bootleged because return address china. I went online Gucci is now having some stuff made there, so much for Italian leather and craftmanship!! Bay I hate digital, my stove is, sure it will last a lifetime ( I don't know how to turn it on)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You also have to admire the operators of equipment who can get the job done well without tearing things up;

A person who resists the advertising hype of new and better somehow being the same thing;

And, a person who isn't out there working to prove something to the world other than the idea that a good result is a good thing.

Gettin' 'er dun isn't just the process - it's the result.

Steve