Dry or fresh herbs???

Lavender44

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I believe mint hold's its taste pretty good. Some herbs hold their taste pretty good when dried and some don't. To play it safe, fresh is the way to go!

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Like so many others, I have an explosive oregano patch I gave a good haircut about a month ago and put all of it into my dehydrator. Then I just used an old oregano shaker and pulled all the leaves off the stalks and put them in there. They taste great, and I still have lots and lots in the garden if I want some fresh.

I do wash them, and examine them throughly, because you see - harvestmen and other insects like their cover and some butterflies lay their eggs on it and you don't want an itty bitty caterpillar in your herbs!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I dry mine in a dehydrator. I also love mint tea and dried enough to last all winter. I use alot of dried herbs in cooking soups, roasts, sauces, etc. I also wash mine because I don't want to eat bugs or eggs, etc.

craftsmaster

Sprout
Reaction score
crazzzymike13 said:
I'm getting into growing herbs. I was wondering which is better to use for teas. Fresh out of the garden, or drying them out first??
Tea is a large, important part of the meditative process. Not only do many Asians enjoy drinking tea, but they also created niches in which to enjoy this beverage undisturbed.

I think the one who personally drink tea holds the answer. I must say I'm a herb gardener and addicted to tea ( mint taste) at the same time. Mint loses it's taste when dry, so basically, mint provides the real mint during it's freshness.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
craftsmaster said:
crazzzymike13 said:
I'm getting into growing herbs. I was wondering which is better to use for teas. Fresh out of the garden, or drying them out first??
Tea is a large, important part of the meditative process. Not only do many Asians enjoy drinking tea, but they also created niches in which to enjoy this beverage undisturbed.

I think the one who personally drink tea holds the answer. I must say I'm a herb gardener and addicted to tea ( mint taste) at the same time. Mint loses it's taste when dry, so basically, mint provides the real mint during it's freshness.
I found fresh mint tea tasted too green?? :idunno I prefer the taste of dried mint tea. So I guess it is all what you like and what you get used to.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dried mint should keep its flavor for six months or so if kept in a cool dark place. Not as long as many herbs but plenty long enough to get you from one growing season to the next. Remember also that most herbs can be frozen. Pack tightly in a freezing baggie and squeeze as much air as possible out of it, then just toss it in the freezer.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
crazzzymike13 said:
how long will herbs last if I dry them?? I like drinking mint tea and I want to have a good supply during the winter.
I just fixed my DH some mtn. mint tea, for nausea, that's been stored in that glass jar for 5-10 yrs. and it was fine. I'm using some other seldom used dried herbs that I bought 15 yrs. ago at least. We packrats have a hard time tossing stuff. Sure, they're not as fresh and medicinal so you have to use more. The cooks and books say to toss them all after a yr., and if it's stuff you're growing and you have more each yr., why not. But, heck, I'm not tossing my saffron. Just make sure everything stays dry and has no sign of spoilage or bugs. I like glass jars. I prefer my teas dried. Fresh tastes too vegetabley to me. Agastache (anise hyssop) is my fav. tea to dry for winter-very soothing for cold or sore throat, and incredibly easy and attractive to grow. Reseeds everywhere. I also like mint tea and find catnip tea good for colds, insomnia, stomach aches.

Latest posts