DUCKS for THEE in 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the garlic above the fridge. Considering how stuff dries out up there, I think they should dry out ok, but I will be planting/freezing/separating them in the next few weeks. It is hanging inside of the porch on the wall.
Below is my 2023 harvest from the Italian garlic that I planted in the front bed in 2021.
I promised middle DD most of this to plant mid October.
(She will take them at my Salsa Party: "Hunger Games: May the odds be Ever in your Favor".)
I will also plant some of it, but, even dirty, it is picturesque, imho. :rolleyes:View attachment 59094

you want it warm and dry to cure it. cool and moist will encourage it to sprout.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
you want it warm and dry to cure it. cool and moist will encourage it to sprout.
GREAT to know!! :hugs It is Definitely warm and dry on top of the fridge.
My 110yo house has no central AC. We close off the kitchen from the DR/LR, no heat from cooking that needs AC cooling, and EVERYTHING dries out on top of the fridge.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder if part of this is the trendy diet fads against carbs; corn would be high on the list of foods that people want to avoid, and then of course corn derived products. I remember years ago a talk show host made a comment against beef and cattle futures plummeted because the person was a celebrity.

Last edited:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
An autobiographical book by Linda Greenlaw "The Lobster Chronicals" is a good read. The author is the daughter of a family of lighthouse keepers, and, before her lobstering career, she was captain of a sword-fishing boat for a number of years, and one of the characters depicted in the movie, "The Perfect Storm."

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took the dogs out this morning and I noticed that I missed two Italian galic bulbs and their seeds.
The are small, but I supposed I should replant them in about a month.
Garlic, Italian, missed bulbs, 08-01-23.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to bring you down, but I thought you might want to read this:
Horse slaughter should be reopened here in the US. When slaughter was banned, it got really bad for the horses. It should come under the same regulation as beef or pork. There will always be unwanted horses, old, lame or unridable. There are 3 horses down the road from me, beautiful, only halter broke, basically useless expensive pets. If they outlive their owner, to auction they will go. One of the big geldings is spoiled to the point of almost being dangerous. I wouldn’t give even a dollar for that pile of trouble.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Horse slaughter should be reopened here in the US. When slaughter was banned, it got really bad for the horses.

True. Now horses face longer rides to slaughter plants outside the USA. Passage of this prohibition is just the sort of idiocy that PETA probably pushed for.

I'm thankful that our two horses and 2 ponies breathed their last here at home on the pasture where they spent their lives. One of the small Shetland ponies we needed like a hole in our heads, but I paid $50 for her rather than see her shipped to kill buyers. She was the youngest and she lived the longest of the 4, to age 36, and the hubby and I used to remark what a good thing it was that we acquired her, as unneeded as she might have been, because she extended our tenure as horse owners by nearly 10 years.

Latest posts