Ducks!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the response @TheSeedObsesser and @Wishin' I guess I have butchered them too soon. I did some digging on the internet and mine seem a little light by producers standards, but right on track by backyard duck standards. Soooooo......I have to put up with them for another few weeks, then we'll see. :idunno

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
MapleLeaf duck farms, gets their ducks to 7+ pounds in 42 days. Breed their own lines of ducks plus special blend of feed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule Backyard Duck Farm orders from Ideal Hatchery and feeds Dumor chick feed from TSC and gets her ducks to 3 pounds dressed weight in 42 days.

ain't that just craptastic...... :barnie

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We feed our ducks Dumor from TSC - along with scratch grain, oats, and corn (I think also from TSC). The only difference from Baymule Backyard Duck Farm and Vita Semplice Duck Farm (It's our "official" name, we have it on some fancy papers) is that Vita Semplice breeds there own ducks. That and one is quite a few states above the other, and a little bit to the left.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm told their drakes r the size of ganders. No longer allow visitors-disease control.
But you are talking dressed weight, I'm talking body weight. So u did good!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So nice of you @seedcorn to give me a encouraging word instead of hating on southerners. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I do want a bigger duck, so......sigh.....guess I have to put up with them a few more weeks. :tongue

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dummy Ducks! A few nights ago, they were quacking non-stop. :he I stepped out on the deck, and the neighbor catty-corner to us had his deck lit up, the Bar-B-Que going and country music playing. The ducks were alarmed by that and just wouldn't shut up. :barnie They quacked until the neighbor shut it down and went inside--which they probably did to get away from the quackers. :lol:

I butchered 6 today. I met the dreaded pinfeathers. :\ I battled the dreaded pinfeathers. :confused: Needless to say, the dreaded pinfeathers won the battle. :somad I even went to the grocery store and bought paraffin wax. I waxed a duck, made a huge mess and the #$%#$% pinfeathers still came out the winner. :rant I just did the best I could with it..... :idunno

Nine more to go.

Even though I dry picked with the duck half in a paper feed sack, feathers still flew all over the place. The backyard looks like two NFL teams dueled to the death with feather pillows. So not only do I have all these durn feathers to deal with......now I gotta do something with all these football players bodies......get the backhoe......

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those pin feathers are such a pain, that is why I absolutely REFUSE, (which is rare for me) to pluck a duck.

You definitely have a knack for making a frustrating situation sound comical.:lol:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those pinfeathers are just extra fiber/protein. I don't think that anybody eats the skin anyway (except for me, the crispy skin is goood :drool). The pinfeathers just make the cleaned bird look bad, which sometimes doesn't help if your selling them.

Do you have a lake somewhere nearby? Just throw the football players in there, they won't need to be weighed down with rocks.

Latest posts