Early Warning System (EWS!)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok...

Newbie:
Those weeds look too small to even pinch out.

Ole Timer:
I don't care if it seems like I hardly got any weeds when I only got a handful in 5 minutes. One handful of those weed seedlings is a hundred weeds.

=====

Newbie:
Ooh look! I filled a bucket with these weeds!

Ole timer:
Let's count them. I find 10 weeds in your bucket. Want to count these weed seedlings in my hand?

=====

Ole timer to newbie:
Right kid? Might not seem glamorous my handful of weed seedlings, but each of them got the pinch of death after it slipped out of the ground, right here between my thumb and index finger. Nice bucket full of still living weeds you have there. Watch me push my hand down into the ground... opening my hand under there... pulling my hand out... pushing soil back over them now.

That's how ya do it kid. Whatayagonnadowithyerbucketaweeds? :old

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"If everything isn't black and white, I say:

'Why the hell not?'" ~ John Wayne

digitS'

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
to the newbie: if you see a bug on your plant identify it before you kill it...it may be a good bug that eats bad bugs BUT be sure you get rid of the bad bugs because each will lay 500 eggs
and then you;ll have problems

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about - "I only planted a couple of each thing so I don't need to label them."

WARNING! WARNING!

Yeah right... and which of the 4 types of tomato are the bunch in the middle that aren't doing so well??? Hummm... There are 2 different squash, one under each bunch of corn... but which squash is under which corn??? And for that matter - which corn is which???? Good grief it's gotten to be a mess..... LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"So, I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign,
I said, 'Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me, I'm alive and doin' fine!'"

A piece of paper as a map?

I use those plastic plant "markers" with something written on them with a garden "marker" :rolleyes:. Using a "permanent" marker proved to be impermanent after a season of sun. There are other ways, I guess, but keeping track of varieties is a big part of the fun for me. After all, "variety is the spice of life" :).

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:

I use those plastic plant "markers" with something written on them with a garden "marker" :rolleyes:. Using a "permanent" marker proved to be impermanent after a season of sun. There are other ways, I guess, but keeping track of varieties is a big part of the fun for me. After all, "variety is the spice of life" :).

Steve

Using a regular old pencil works best on the plastic plant labels. It stays on all season, no smudge , no fade, and you can reuse them next year by erasing with the other end of the pencil. :)

I swiped Marshalls method and now pound a wooden stake in with the name written in marker in front of each variety. I could never find those little name tags under the plants until fall cleanup.

And after spending the winter in the weather because I didn't get everything put away, :rolleyes: last years names had faded and I could just write over it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to use wood popsicle sticks from the craft store, Thistle'.

The permanent marker didn't seem to give me any problem with those that I remember.

Course, I lose the markers under the foliage and if they are out too far away from the plant, I would step on them. Having them in beds helps with that but nothing is safe in a path.

Newbie: "I'll just lean this against the trellis here where it is handy and I can use it later."

Early Warning System: "You are going to step on that rake!!!!"

Steve

Latest posts