Eaten For The 1st Time

Kevin B Walsh

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Probably not, but hey! If society melts down and you can't buy shampoo or soap, just dig up the yucca root and rub your head/clothes/hands/dog...... with it! :lol: But some varieties have edible fruit, seeds and flowers on them. Not claiming to be a taste sensation, but edible.

:old If society melts down, it might be easier to make soap... and the dogs would never stand for any sort of bath. Rolling in mud is all the cleaning they need.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Send pix of what bear grass is. Please
It is growing on the land/home we are purchasing 3 hours from here. We'll probably be closing the first or second week of August and I'll snap a pic for you then. But it is a clump of spiky long narrow leaves, like the Spanish Dagger, only smaller. Hey! I just found this on the net, it's real real close to what I'm talking about. The leaves on what I am familiar with are a bit more fleshy and thick, just narrow. does this help?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a different "beargrass' than what we have growing in the mountains here. I'll see if I can find a pic. Ours is just like coarse grass, no spine on the end.

Xerophyllum tenax is it's botanical name. It was used to make baskets. It has a large bloom.
I saved some seeds one year but haven't tried germinating it.
Oh! This article says that 11 other species share the same common name.

This is what we have growing called beargrass.
beargrass.jpg

images

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom that looks a little more like grass than what we call beargrass. What we have here is like Spanish Dagger in miniature. Does livestock eat it, they don't eat the beargrass here.

Latest posts