Elm tree?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
6215_img_5277.jpg

This tree is in our pasture. It is my favorite tree, as well as DH's. He likes it so much that he had someone from the extension office come identify it once years ago.

6215_img_5279.jpg

They told him it was a river elm. I have looked up river elms and they look nothing like this tree.

6215_img_5278.jpg

It died last spring and I want to plant a new one, but I need to know what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
To me it looks to be in the Cottonwood/Willow tribe. I can't really tell you anything else unless you have a picture of the leaves.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its not a cottonwood, we have hundreds of those on our place and they're not even close. We have lots of willow too. The flower deals are the dried brown clumpy things if that helps.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A close-up of the leaves would really help too, even a dead one. Maybe you could get one wet and stretch it out flat so we could see the shape.

With that bark and it holding its dead leaves, my first thought is oak of some type. But with it dying, it may want to hold onto its leaves anyway.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It has no leaves.
It is covered in clumps of dried up flowers.
Oaks do not grow within 5 miles of our house due to soil acidity issues.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I had though Tulip Tree, but it has big lovely flowers, not catkins, and then I thought it may be some sort of Hickory.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These are the flowers
6215_flowers.jpg

Someone from the Extension office suggested Green Ash but the leaves were not familiar when I looked up green ash trees.

There is another tree like this in town here, right by my office and if it gets leaves I will take a pitcure. Right now most of the trees are not leafed out yet.

Latest posts