Ethical Question

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marijuana is fast become legal in the US. No one can disagree it has medial value. I have a friend that is HIV postive, he is on large amounts of mediation to stop from truning into AIDS. The mediation leaves him nauseus, Marijuana helps with his appetite (his use is legal). If a family member or good friend who was ill asked you to grow some would you? Would you grow it if legal in your state, what about if ilegal in your state?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That’s a real hard question with a lot of “if’s”. If it were legal and if it was purely for medical purposes, yes, I think I would. You never know until you are faced with the actual decision. But if there was any chance it would be used recreationally, not no how, not no way. That one is pretty easy to answer.

If it were illegal, now there is the problem. What is at risk; jail time, fines, confiscation of property? How would that affect your family? I’d be interested in what laws are on the books, not that the current sheriff looks the other way or that first time offenders usually get off easy. You never know when you will get a hanging judge or a sheriff or prosecutor out to make a name as tough on crime. What are the risks to my family, not just me? With the current laws on the books in Arkansas, I doubt I would grow it illegally.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband keeps talking about us making millions by growing medicinal marijuana. There is a big expense in setting up. It all has to be controlled and indoors. I do believe there are wonderful medicinal reasons to use it. Many of thozse who get a prescription do so from a doctor who will write one for anything. That being said I'm sure that goes on for any other medicine. I have seen life time users who's lives are negatively effected by it's chronic usage. so personally I would not grow it. I will hate to see my grandchildren be able to get it easily.
At the same token our jails should not be full of marijuana smokers. So not for me.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The cultivation and sale of marijuana is now legal in Washington State where I live. It will be interesting to see what the long term consequences or benefits are! Personally, I don't use it, but I have heard that it helps some chronic diseases. I guess I'm still on the 'fence' about it. :hu

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Illegal in Indiana but grows wild everywhere. Wouldn't be as strong but good enough to give you a buzz--no I don't partake.

I have NO PROBLEMS using it as you outlined. Since I have sources, I'd contact local authorities so it'd be a wink, wink and they'd leave me alone. Now selling it in drug traffic, HUGE PROBLEMS!!!!!!!! Kids have enough challenges without making something easy to obtain that alters brain cells.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might, just tucked into my garden along with the other herbs. It is still illegal in my state, but to me, ethics and "the law" don't necessarily go hand in hand.

At least in this state, any property used in the committing of a crime may be confiscated. No way I would put myself in danger of losing this property. I would do all that I could to support the necessary purchase of medicinal product for my family member.

Growing it is still illegal in the United States even if the powers that be seem to turn a blind eye to states like Oregon, (and soon, Illinois) while it grows wild here. I would like to see more studies done on its use as a medicine, but I would not like to see it legalized where, like cigarettes and alcohol, it can easily be abused.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown it and I sure didn't have any illness or pain unless you want to count getting whopped up the side of the head with a stupid stick. Then at 25, I decided to grow up and stop my running wild and crazy. Alcohol was easy, but weed......man that was tough. Would I grow it now? Illegal? Seizure of property? No. I have too much to lose. While I would feel badly for my friend, that I would not do. I can understand the desperation of chronic pain and illness, but still, I would not risk my life, freedom or property.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might, just tucked into my garden along with the other herbs. It is still illegal in my state, but to me, ethics and "the law" don't necessarily go hand in hand.
This was a very interesting thread. I was asking about 100% medial use. I am also talking about afew plants behind the tomtoes not whole fields. My mother passed away from bone cancer, the last 6 months in stage 4 where bad. Raditation and chemotherapy seemed to make her nauseus. After a day of vomitting I ask if she wanted to try some pot, she said no it is illegal ( I am sure she was worried about me getting arrested) I often wonder if it was leagal would she have tried it, and would it have helped.

Latest posts