Fall Gardening

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wait till August, start herbs inside, and a few weeks later put them out when it's no longer above 75-80F outside. It's hit or miss, you can't trust the weather too much.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is good info since I have to replant cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower seeds since the plants were wiped out by hail. I like the idea of the county extension.

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in New Orleans, and our winters are pretty mild. We might get an overnight frost in December, but it usually isn't until January. And then it's only for a day or so. This week, I started my green pepper, jalapeno & habanero seeds. The spring tomatoes, both slicing & paste, are about to be cut way back for the fall crop. I don't plant a lot of the cole crops, so I'll probably just by transplants for those about September. And of course, the garlic, onions & shallots.

Tomorrow, I've got to dig up the summer squash to plant some field peas. Those are one of the few things that we eat that can take our summer heat.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought a book, "The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener" , with a a subtitle of How to grow your own food 365 days a year no matter where you live. I have only just browsed it but it uses the raised hoop house beds (like I have two of) and cold frames. I also has a green house in the garden area. It talks a lot about time and I can't wait to read it. Will keep you posted.

Latest posts