Feeding a Family From a Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are lots of things to consider when a person thinks about maximizing the food to be gained from a garden. We can simplify :p.

Here is a pdf file on Small Plot and Intensive Gardening from Purdue University, Department of Horticulture LINK I've posted this on TEG a good number of times. It provides ideas on spacing in a home garden and the yield a gardener might expect.

It is very ambitious to think to supply all of the food for an average 4 person family from a home garden. Most family gardens are 1,000 square feet or less. Gardeners seldom venture into growing grain crops altho', they may. Certainly something like potatoes can replace starchy grains in a diet but several 100 pounds/person would be required, along with the proper storage.

Let's say that the entire garden is potatoes and that potatoes alone are sufficient for human health and . . . all of the other things we would have to assume for this scenario :rolleyes: . The gardening family has a good year and produce 1 pound per square foot of garden. That would be about 300+ calories per square foot. An adult needs about 2,000 calories each day or, 73,000 calories for the year. That is a 2400 square foot "potato garden" for each person and nearly 10,000 square feet of garden for the family.

That is about the minimum garden size for a complete garden calorie contribution to a family diet. I think :). The family would have a garden 10 times the size of most family gardens and would be very sick by the end of the year!

Steve
just fiddling around with calories, square feet and potatoes

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you are waaaaaay over thinking this gardening thing!!! :lol:

Haha, with my tiny space in the front yard, I still am able to raise a lot of our vegetables. Can I supply all our needs? No, but I sure knock a hole in the grocery bill.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been on this kick lately trying to figure out what vegetables I can grow that are healthier or "better" in some way than I can buy in the grocery store. It is not my experience that just anything home grown is better tasting than just anything purchased. Some of the stuff I have grown tastes like cardboard or worse. Carrots, for one example.
Going by the "dirty dozen" of the veggies/fruits that are most likely to be loaded with pesticides, I need to grow peppers, greens, tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries.
I can probably grow enough peppers and tomatoes to last the year. Maybe enough greens, of various kinds. Potatoes? I haven't had much success with potatoes--yet. I can grow enough cabbage, but not sure if I can keep it through the year without processing the kraut.
I have new determination to try to avoid pesticides and unhealthy chemicals, so will keep on plugging along in my little garden.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hold on.... are you sayin' I'll be sick by the end of the year?

I harvested probably 500 pounds of spuds. That's a rough estimate, fizzled out on weighing them, but I hope to not buy any store bought potatoes. There is a slight possibility that our diet may be a tad heavy on the potato side. (Where's the head scratching emoticon?) But, truly we are a healthy bunch. We very rarely get sick. All that vitamin P you know. ;)

I think you should have picked on tomatoes Steve....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, now you see why I stay out of the SufficientSelf forum ;).

Sweet potatoes would be a better choice for maximum calories per square foot but, since I can't grow more than I can put in my shirt pocket on that much ground, I went for the "Irish" potato.

Calories. Bay' is talking $, So Lucky is talking health . . . Thistle', I've read that many Irish families of 150 years ago had very little other than their potatoes and a milk cow. They were growing generations of people with those before potato blight showed up.

I was trying to find that Howard Baker (Senator from Tennessee) quote about realizing that he was out of the South when he visited Washington DC as a kid and saw people eating potatoes for breakfast. It seemed kind of funny to me because when I've visited DC, I felt like I was in the South but it had to do with the weather not breakfast.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Owww, that garden doesn't even have any vitamin blackberry in it. No wonder they'd be sick.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it is okay with everyone, I like the idea of growing all the calories a family of 4 would need on 1/4 of an acre.

Now, how many calories does that milk cow need . . ?

:D

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, if those Irish supplemented their diet with wild greens and a rabbit occasionally, I bet they could remain pretty healthy with potatoes and good old raw milk.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once entered a recipe competition with a sour cream and potato casserole. I had just moved off on my own . . .

It was one of only 2 competitions that I have entered by sending something off in the mail. Yes, I once chose Johnson and Humphrey to win reelection in Gillette's Name the Candidates. Running against them would be Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford.

Boy, I sure got that all mixed up!!! No, I've never won anything since high school, except a few card games & at ping pong.

These days, people wouldn't even pay me to shovel snow. Good thing that So Lucky is up to doing that :cool:. I should make some potato casserole.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was 12 I won $2.00 in a weekly contest for writing a little poem for some dairy; can't remember which one. It was published in the local paper. That may have been the last thing I won. My 15 seconds of fame came early and faded fast. :lol:

Latest posts