Fig Preserves, Lemon Marmalade and Pepper Jelly

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really got in the mood to make preserves today.......started 3 days ago on the Lemon Marmalade. A friend from church called and asked for a mess of my green beans, so I took her some. Her husband handed me a small bag of figs. And I have been wanting to make another batch of pepper jelly since my first effort needs to be ice-picked out of the jar......still tastes good-just gotta DIG for it! :lol:

Lemon Marmalade
3 pounds lemons
3 pounds sugar
1st Day slice lemons very thin. Get all the seeds out that you can, as it just gets harder to get them out after this. Pour 4 cups cold water over the sliced lemons and let stand until the next day.

2nd Day Strain lemons, pour 4 cups of fresh cold water over the lemons, bring to a boil, set off the stove and let stand until next day.

3rd Day Use same water the lemons soaked in on the 2nd day; simmer until tender and strain.

Bring to a boil 3 pounds sugar in 3 cups of water. When this comes to a boil and sugar is melted, add lemons and simmer for 50 minutes. Pack in hot jars and water bath.

I got 4 pints and 2 (1/2) pints.

Fig Preserves

3 cups sliced figs-thin
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 3 lemons
2 cups sugar

Bring to a boil, them simmer on medium heat until it thickens up. Pack in hot jars and water bath. I got 2-- 1/2 pint jars and 1 pint jar.

The pepper jelly recipe is called Habanero Gold and is on page 131 of the Ball Canning book. I used cayenne peppers, because I didn't have habanero peppers and it was delicious. I got 4 -- 1/2 pint jars.

7949_preserves.jpg

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bay, that is beautiful jars. I love the marmalade recipe. gorgeous. I've got a bunch of peppers in the garden. maybe I can make that pepper jelly. I would love to have things like this to give as Christmas gifts & such.

Latest posts