Figs zone 5 or further north?

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone tried growing figs in the cooler zones? In pots? If so, how large do they get and do they do well? I have been toying with the idea of trying the varieties from Baker Creek, but do not want to take on more than I can handle either. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Christie

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are two varieties that can actually be grown outdoors in zone 5 that I know of - Brown Turkey and Cincinnati Hardy (I think that those are the names, going off of memory). For better luck I would recommend strategic planting such as on the south side of a building or away from frost pockets. I can't remember whether frost is more likely to occur on the top or bottom of a hill (anybody know?).

I haven't grown figs myself yet (live on rented land so don't want to put a ton of money into something and have to leave it). But I have seriously looked into it.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, congratulations, you got it right. You are clever this morning. :hide Cold air is denser and heavier than warm air. Warm air tends to rise. That's the way I remember it. I've got some low areas that are definitely more frost prone when the air is calm.

In addition to looking at a south side and out of frost pockets, I'd add to look for wind protection. A dry wind can be hard on new plantings.

Your roughest time will be the first year, winter and summer. Mulch well to protect the roots from freezing too badly, especially the first winter. Mulch well and water a lot, especially the first summer. If you can get them through the first full year, even if they freeze out in the winter you have a reasonable chance of them coming back from the roots.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My father has one in NY,Never gives any winter protection.Last winter was bad tree died back to roots and regrew in spring. Chicago Hardy and brown turkey are your best bets. I have a Chicago hardy at my house in Hudson Valley, but I cover with mulch in winter. I also have some in pots I moved inside this wll be my first try at that. Figs Take to pot growing very well. The problem you might have is not the tree livng though wnter, but amount of warm days for figs to ripen. This summer my trees in pots where loaded with fruit but none ripened by time fall came.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
from what i read last year this is the time of the year to take cuttings and get them growing. i agree the only 2 types i've read about that grow well in cold areas are the Brown Turkey and Chicago Hardy. any others you'd want to put in pots and store away for the winters. if you have a greenhouse or cool basement i've heard you can keep them in there. or put them against a wall and cover over with mulch.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I had some in pots I put in a unheated shed, because of high snow I never water them. they where dead come spring. This year I put them in basement so I could water, hoping they live.

Latest posts