Figs

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We lost both of our fig trees (bushes) over the winter. They were enormous too, standing over 8 feet tall. It wasn't a really cold, frigid winter here either. I only remember a couple of nights in the high teens of cold but they're dead. I'm going to have to go and cut them out and replant them. We lost them the first year when they were first planted but they came back and went through I think four winters. Brown mission figs. Great producers and great tasting figs. They had trunks that were 3 inches thick. I'm not sure what to do to help them make it through the winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Totally agree w/ Nyboy, my tree died this year too, but it is coming back from the roots. A very vigorous sapling.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is my fig, it's still in the same pot it came in. I think I'm going to pot it into a big pot. Maybe later I will put it into the ground. Not sure right now. It's putting out some new growth, the leaves remind me of ostrich or emu feet. In the back is a little tiny lemon grass plant in a pot. I love lemon grass, it smells so good and gets huge.
DSC_0054_zps7865fbc1.jpg

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Should I just cut them down to maybe a foot above ground level?

Start there but if there is no green cambium, I'd cut even shorter to ground level. If the roots are still alive they will shoot from underground nodes, and standing dead wood is an invitation to a bunch of insect and fungal pests. Give them at least a few months to show growth before calling them a total loss. Good luck!