FIRST FROST`

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well Sat night was our 1st killing frost.
I got lazy Sat and didn't pick the last of my okra.
Boy was that a mistake, there was over 2 lbs of okra that got ruined.

THANX RICH

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frost got my volunteer squash too. But that's ok. I picked them all and made zucchini bread! Two cold nights and we're back to running the air conditioner!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
First frost Friday night into Saturday morning. Still cold and blow-y. Even had our first snow, sleet, and freezing rain of the season today. Not a happy camper here.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked the last of my 'maters, squash, zuchini, etc. Friday. Today I stopped at food bank to drop them off and found a room full of clients and very few volunteers to take them shopping. Spent about an hour and a half working until the afternoon shift of helpers showed up.

Lucky for me someone else was delivering food soon after I stopped and I had to move my car. Heck, I'd just planned to drop off the veggies and leave -- left my door open and the motor running. Attention span of a gnat since previous summer.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, Red, I thought you would have had a killing frost by now, being nearly two whole states north of me. But the weather is so weird lately....
We had our first killing frost this past weekend, too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had two killing frosts, my squash are goners. But the Lebanese White Marrow squash survived the frost and is doing just fine. :idunno

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Well Sat night was our 1st killing frost.
I got lazy Sat and didn't pick the last of my okra.
Boy was that a mistake, there was over 2 lbs of okra that got ruined.

THANX RICH
I don't think so. I cut and directly freeze My okra. Try picking it and doing the same. I'll bet you can still get that harvest in!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have been promised 4 first frosts in the last week. It was 31 degrees this morning, still no frost. However, I used old curtains that had been in my garden walkway (between two beds) and covered the tender annuals that I didn't get to last weekend so that I can dig them up today.
If you don't get your plants in, thank them for their service and tell them to enjoy the compost pile later.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today I brushed hogged what was left of the garden and put on several front loader buckets of rich black compost.
I still need to apply about another 10 buckets of Black Gold.
After I get all of the amendments on I'll til that in, then add more compost.
I'll let the 2nd layer of compost sit on there all winter and til it in come spring.

THANX RICH

Latest posts