First good callaloo harvest

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My callaloo got big enough to harvest so I used them in a stir fry with noodles, carrots, anaheim pepper and purple snap beans.It turned out to have a very distinctive flavor, different from any other green I've ever eaten. I think this will find a place in my garden every year from now on.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a leafy green that is cut and come again; part of the amaranthus family.. The tips of the stems can be chopped and eaten with the leaves and the part of the stem below that is easily peeled and cooked. I especially like the peeled stems in stir fry. It can be a substitute for spinach in hot weather. It thrives on heat. It has a much more pronounced flavor that spinach however. The stems can be used in any asparagus recipe although the taste doesn't resemble asparagus.
It is well known in Louisiana and Mississippi but relatively new to the rest of the country. It is also a popular green in Haiti and Jamaica and the basis of their pepper pot soup.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'm going to have to look for this. it sounds great. I've sure got the hot for it. is it water loving? that might kick me out of the park. my garden tends on the dry side

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine thrives on regular watering and rich soil but the books say it will take poor soil and some drought.
Be careful. There are two completely different greens called calalloo. One is taro leaf and the other, the one I have, is an amaranth. Unless you have no frost I don't think you could grow taro. The seeds are available through most seed sellers, especially those specializing in herbs and uncommon plants.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Callaloo! Sounds like something you'd shout from the top of a mountain! LOL! Not that I am going mountain climbing any time soon. They like heat? I am south of BJ and heat is something we have lots of. Can you post a link where you got your seed? Thanks!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Callaloo! Sounds like something you'd shout from the top of a mountain! LOL! Not that I am going mountain climbing any time soon. They like heat? I am south of BJ and heat is something we have lots of. Can you post a link where you got your seed? Thanks!!
You know I don't remember for sure where I got the seed but it isn't hard to find. A lot of seed sellers carry it. It seems to be one of those seeds quite a few people buy but never plant. I like the ones that have decorative leaves, some even look like coleus. They are the same nutritionally but just look purty.