Flies - What to do with a jar full of dead ones?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
We've got one of those fly traps where you put stinky stuff in a jar (we used the water from tuna can). The flies go in the holes but can't get out (because the top is dark and they don't think to exit the holes they came in).

fad61s00q.jpg

Question is this: What do I do with a couple pounds of dead flies (worst smell ever)?

My options:

1) Bury them in the ground
2) Put them in the garbage
3) Put them in my compost

Any thoughts on the above or other suggestions?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I suppose you could compost it but heaven knows what the NPK ratio is and MAN would it ever stench up your pile. Personally I take 'full' traps to the faaaaaaar end of the property and dump 'em out there. It seems silly to me to toss them in a landfill but I sure as heck do not want that smell anywhere near ME :p

JMO,

Pat

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Very good comments, thanks!

I started thinking about the "no meat" in the compost pile and wondered if this counted. Fortunately I've got my black soldier flies that will hopefully take care of this in a jiffy if I put it in the middle of my pile!

quercus

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm VERY impressed with the fly trap. I wonder if they make them for mozzies?

As for disposing of them...how about dipping in batter and deep frying?

(joke!)

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ew. This is one instance (and you won't find many) where I'm just totally girlie.

I let the hubby take care of those stinkin' things (and Lord do they ever stink!) :cool: I don't know what he does with them. I probably don't want to know, either. :lol:

Gotta ask though, what's a mozzie? Would that be what I call a 'skeeter? :lol:

Latest posts