Food Companies Lobby To Block Warning Labels

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting article, V. The color code sounds like a good idea- but I also have to ask, is there anyone that can't recognize junk food??? I am all for protecting the consumer and nutritious food, but this seems to be insulting people's intelligence....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll insult people's intelligence all day long! There are really some dumb people out there. I actually had talked with a girl once about diabetes and she REALLY thinks its not because of all the junk a person eats, that it is solely genetic! Like there isn't anything wrong with our diet. She says if these foods were even remotely as bad for us as people say (processed foods, GMO's, HFC...ect) the government would NEVER let these people put them in super markets...

She thinks I don't understand the FDA or USDA. A few accidents can slip by them (ex. - Mad Cow Disease) but products by companies we trust, she believes are all tested BY our government before they go out.

Then there is my sister... she thinks bugs in a garden harbor disease and she is completely against organic because she thinks E. COli gets into our food from these insects and it happened because there weren't enough chemicals!

People are dumb... no matter how much you don't want to believe it, people are REALLY REALLY dumb by the millions!

(Some not by there own fault mind you...)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose that explains why we are in the trouble we are in right now... obesity epidemics, etc. Sad to imagine so many uninformed folks, but I am sure you are right.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
she thinks bugs in a garden harbor disease and she is completely against organic because she thinks E. COli gets into our food from these insects and it happened because there weren't enough chemicals!
:th
Perhaps she should stop eating bugs. :lol:
Seriously though, they put warning labels on cigarette packs and obesity causes far more deaths than tobacco. Why not put warning labels on them?
If you watched Jamie Oliver in West Virginia you know how many mind tricks people can play on themselves in order to continue their junk food diet. Fat and sugar can be addictions.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
wifezilla said:
she thinks bugs in a garden harbor disease and she is completely against organic because she thinks E. COli gets into our food from these insects and it happened because there weren't enough chemicals!
:th
Perhaps she should stop eating bugs. :lol:
:yuckyuck I know a few people that won't eat fresh eggs because they claim there are "things" in them and are unsanitary. :rolleyes:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although the scheme devised has the backing of doctors and dietitians, because it could cut Britain's annual toll of 70,000 diet-related deaths
Anyone who believes this, I have a flying saucer to sell you.

diet related deaths????? I'm over weight from eating too much and die of a heart attack and it's the food industries problem???? Try personal responsibility.

Now if they are packaged w/poisons, deadly metals, etc, I'm all for labeling it as such.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This whole thing is silly, much ado about noting. Do you think a warning label will stop people from eating their favored junk food?
Oh, in time, it might serve as a subliminal deterrent, once everyone is numbed down enough to accept the message of guilt it thrusts upon us...

"You naughty consumer, you - how dare you consider eating this, with its red labels! What are you thinking?! We went to a lot of trouble to tell you how horrid it is, so put it down. Bad human, bad human!...."

Of course, those prone to being scared by anything that sounds reasonable, will likely give in immediately.

But, overall, few people are worried about a long, extended, death-by-processed flour. A little cheesy-poo or crinkly foo-foo 'aint gonna kill em any quicker than a car wreck, hurricane, or progressive politics will. And they know it.
People arent all as stupid they are credited with being.

The whole thing smells - yet again - of self righteous, moralistic busybodies compelled to control you and I "for our own good."
I'm wondering how many of the labeleers stand to profit in some way by the labels themselves? Anytime someone wants to protect me from myself, I get suspicious.

Personally, I'll consider the labels over a cold beer, and a nice cigar. I'll get back to you if I want to comply.