For sale

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know how to care for animals, NyBoy. If you were trying for self-sufficiency, I'd say "get a milk cow!" Some of the folks on TEG would probably say, "get a horse!"

I don't know the answer. It's probably out there on cooperative extension websites. Horse owners are often challenged to get rid of manure. Coop Ext is where I got this: "On any given day, the average 1,000-pound horse will produce approximately 50 pounds of manure." And, "1,000-pound horse would require 24 pounds of hay per day."

This is dry feed - and wet manure. I understand that rabbits have similar feed requirements to cows and horses. It isn't quite pound for pound. Smaller animals have higher metabolisms. Many folks are really surprised that 8, 6# chickens (total weight of 48#) will eat as much as a 165# human ... of nearly the same quality feed.

Here's a question that I have often wondered about, why aren't we using livestock feed as garden fertilizers? Look at the prices of boxed, organic fertilizers. It can't be cost ...

Given the obvious pleasure you enjoy with pets, this isn't a good idea for you: vermiculture. I've just bought several bags of Black Gold potting soil. Something I especially appreciate on that product's ingredient list is the "composted worm castings."

Steve
anti-bunny league of America

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Surely, with all the pet parents you come in contact with, one of them MUST have (or know someone who has) rabbits.
I've found that the majority of folks who have poo machines are happy to have someone who wants to take it away for them.
I bet you could work out some sort of trade... a tote of bunny poo gets ya an extra night of boarding - or free nail trims for the next 6 months.. or something.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A client once told me she bought 2 ponies for when her grand kids visited.I asked her if I could collect some horse manure . She got this shocked look, and said why would you want that ? I replied it is good fertilizer for my garden. She reached in her purse pulled out a 20 dollar bill slapped it on the desk. Then she said " Al forget the horse sh*t get yourself some miracle grow ".

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
poo over mg.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A client once told me she bought 2 ponies for when her grand kids visited.I asked her if I could collect some horse manure . She got this shocked look, and said why would you want that ? I replied it is good fertilizer for my garden. She reached in her purse pulled out a 20 dollar bill slapped it on the desk. Then she said " Al forget the horse sh*t get yourself some miracle grow ".
:yuckyuck

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

:yuckyuck

Your Craigslist has the coolest ads! I look on mine every so often, but rarely find anything interesting or of value to me. That's a fair price. Go get that poop! :D

We've got one tiny little bunny, an American Fuzzy Lop. He really puts out the poo for his size, maybe a gallon a month. He's a sweet little guy and such a good pet.

Latest posts