Freezing Excess Eggs

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes you are! I usually sell the extra eggs And give some to the family down the road. I never thought about saving them.

CJW

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does the Water Glass make the eggs salty?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
We used to preserve our eggs in waterglass in a crock. here is a run down on how to do it. We could keep eggs all Winter that way in a crock in the cellar.

http://www.storeitfoods.com/page/waterglass
That's pretty cool. Never have heard about it from the old timers around here......but it's not, exactly, something that you would, probably, stumble on in reminiscing conversation.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
hoodat said:
We used to preserve our eggs in waterglass in a crock. here is a run down on how to do it. We could keep eggs all Winter that way in a crock in the cellar.

http://www.storeitfoods.com/page/waterglass
That's pretty cool. Never have heard about it from the old timers around here......but it's not, exactly, something that you would, probably, stumble on in reminiscing conversation.
:frow

I can remember my mother doing this here in the UK, just after WWII & my grandparents always did it. I can remember I wasn't keen on the taste of them so they were mostly used in cakes etc......but I was a very fussy eater, esp when it came to eggs & milk (I still am about milk, can't stand the taste! I freeze my surplus eggs now. :D

Hattie

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No. they don't taste salty. The sodium isn't in the form of salt. Salt is sodium combined with chlorine. the waterglass is sodium combined with silica.

Hattie, I agree they aren't quite as fresh tasting as eggs straight from the hen but it IS a way to keep them for a longer time than refrigeration. It's hard to fry a waterglass egg without having the yolk break. My mother used to scramble them with onions.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What about making pickled eggs to preserve any extra eggs? I've made pickled eggs from my quails, which are the eggs usually that are used. Pickled quail eggs are pretty common with those who raise quails.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Quail eggs should be OK to waterglass but remember to pinprick the wide end of the egg in case there's a gas buildup or they may crack in the boiling.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Hattie, I agree they aren't quite as fresh tasting as eggs straight from the hen but it IS a way to keep them for a longer time than refrigeration. It's hard to fry a waterglass egg without having the yolk break. My mother used to scramble them with onions.

:frow

Oh I agree with you hoodat & I daresay if I had to go back to a world without refrigeration I would be grateful for this method. But I think in the past people were used to their foodstuff having a stronger taste. Preserved food often has to be highly spiced or have strong tasting vegetables added to cover this ....... your mother added onions to her scrambled eggs & I am sure it was delicious. :)

In hot climates people have always had to add large amounts of spices & herbs to most of their food, this originally served to mask the taste of the early stages of deterioration, as well as (in some cases) helping to preserve & tenderise the food. In colder climates, like Scandinavia, where they could use snow & ice to preserve their food this is not so & people learned to appreciate what I would call the ranker flavors. :sick

Hattie