Freezing Excess Eggs

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very enlightening. Seems the best advice is don't wash them and keep them in the refrigerator. Of course when we were waterglassing eggs we had no refrigerator. We'd saw blocks of ice in Winter and store it in sawdust for an icebox but it always ran out before the hot weather was done; probably because us kids used to burrow down into the sawdust to cool off in hot weather. After that there was only the spring house. We were lucky enough to have a natural spring.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I lightly beat eggs from my hens (don't want bubbles tho!) and freeze them in ice trays then transfer to freezer bags. I label them either duck eggs for baking or chicken eggs. You can't tell the difference when using them. DON'T defrost them in the microwave!!!

ETA: use a light coat of cooking spray in the ice trays or the egg will stick... even frozen they stay kind of sticky/gooey

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
I lightly beat eggs from my hens (don't want bubbles tho!) and freeze them in ice trays then transfer to freezer bags. I label them either duck eggs for baking or chicken eggs. You can't tell the difference when using them. DON'T defrost them in the microwave!!!

ETA: use a light coat of cooking spray in the ice trays or the egg will stick... even frozen they stay kind of sticky/gooey
I do the exact same thing when freezing extra eggs...I use them in baking and for french toast etc.. The taste is hardly changed at all..

Latest posts