Friday Will Be Sweet Potato Harvest

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have two rows of very pretty sweet potatoes that will be dug on Friday!! We have dug a few to eat and are getting about a gallon per hill. We put out about 200 plants so I am expecting a great harvest on Friday. We will wash them and let them set in the sun for a few days before storing. Sweet Potatoes are a staple at our house with using them at least 3 to 4 times a week all fall and winter. I am looking forward to having a good harvest since our white potatoes are not keeping well this year. With the drought and heat I think they were damaged and they are rotting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you keep them for the winter? I will harvest mine soon, nowhere near as much as yours, lol, but I want to keep them from spoiling over the winter.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! That's a lot of sweet potatoes! How many pounds do you think they'll give you? With the price of them at the market, that should save you a bundle.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last year we kept them in the garage in crates and when it would get really cold I covered them with a quilt.

As far as how many we will get, I would guess somewhere around 15 bushel and saw sweet potatoes at an orchard Tuesday for $16 box/bushel (I guess). Not sure if those boxes hold bushel or not. These will be shared with family and friends. In fact, we dug my aunt some last week to take back to Kentucky with her. I have a 95 year old aunt that will enjoy some also. My son likes them and my mother and my hubby and I will eat lots. I am sure my nieces will get some. I have some elderly ladies from church that will get gifts of sweet potatoes. lol

I am so excited about this crop because I started half the plants myself from last year's crop. My mother didn't trust that I could do enough plants, hence the reason we have so many.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Want to adopt a son?? Love sweet potatoes, grow them and I'm the only one who eats them. More evidence that my kids are not mine.....now if I could just pawn off the college bills to someone else.

Keep us in loop (pix) with harvest.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My youngest daughter was a nightmare to feed growing up. I would beseech her with" Your dinner started with a seed in our own garden!"She came home from college with a new love for vegetables. I WANTED TO RING HER NECK FOR ALL THOSE TORTUOUS DINNER TABLE YEARS! But I am glad she now has a wonderful varied diet and looks gorgeous because of it.
seedcorn said:
Want to adopt a son?? Love sweet potatoes, grow them and I'm the only one who eats them. More evidence that my kids are not mine.....now if I could just pawn off the college bills to someone else.

Keep us in loop (pix) with harvest.

Latest posts