from 'comunity garden' - into 'first try at a garden'..

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There you go! Already going well. I think in a few weeks you'll start to reap the benefits and rewards from all this work. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now it looks right! Mount Rotmore

That's the shape of it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
How often should I 'stir' it up?
And what does that mean? I think that it means that I should tear it down, mix it up and re-pile it.. ? Yes?

Just once, I'd like to get into something that turns out to be exactly what I was expecting instead of getting way more complicated than I would have ever thought. I mean, how complicated could rotting poo and yard waste be?? Right?? LOL
Like chickens... you know - get a bunch of chicks - keep them warm and fed - wait for eggs.... :D :gig :lol: :th

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Ridge, Hoodat, or OldGuy will have the simplest and best answer for you. Sure wish TheMamaChicken was still here. She'd probably say something like let the Chickens have a party on Mount Rotmore then spread it and rototill it in.

Digit probably knows what to do too. Myself, I'd probably spend a day sieving and busting it up, and what doesn't bust up save for your next pile. Ah heck, dump some bone meal on it, mix it up and use it as is or when you're ready to.

I'm jealous of all your energy!!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come on Mt Rotmore! Rot! Rot! Rot!

"Who's the pile
that rots with style?
Rotmore!
Rotmore!
Rotmore! YEAH!"
:ya

Gotta get going now - the SEEDS HAVE ARRIVED!
8721_dscf1219.jpg

I've got to check my order - it looks like I've got way more packets than I think I was expecting...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Edited to remove my whining and crying....

ROTMORE HAS STEAM!!!!!!! :weee

I needed to do something about the poor drainage around the barn so I decided to dig a shallow pit for the paddock runoff to collect in instead of running into the barn. The big huge wheel barrow of dirt needed to go somewhere .... so off to Rotmore we went.
I figured that it would be best to try and mix it into the pile somehow so I stuck the pitchfork right in the middle of one side about a foot deep or so and pulled away a big chunk....... AND IT WAS STEAMING HOT IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ya :weee :ya

Scattered the dirt around the bottom - mixed in about a food deep or so - then re-piled again so that the whole thing got a stir of the outside layers. I thought it would be ok to leave the center core alone since it was doing such a good job.

I feel like a proud mama whos baby is finally potty training!! My baby made steam!!! :woot
:celebrate :lol: :celebrate

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're a GENIUS Marshall! The 'heat it from below' trick worked like a charm. :bow

I also dumped a gallon of warm water/1lb of minced mushrooms & a little old milk on it after I re-piled it. The outside looked exactly the same so I was SOO surprised to see that something was really getting cooking under the surface.

THANK YOU! :hugs

Latest posts