Frost help, ASAP!!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
fair weather chicken said:
we have a hard freeze warning for tonight. covered our fruit trees, apple and a pear loaded with blossoms. i work at a hotel and got retired sheets for free. hope it doesn't get as cold as they are saying. 81 for Wednesday. can't wait. hope all plants make it.
umbrellas are a cool idea.
Where do you live, fair weather? (general area, I mean) I feel for you having to cover trees, too!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frost warning here, too. I used buckets, flower pots, sand pail, cardboard boxes, sheets. It doesn't take much of a covering to protect the plant. I see bean "necks" just breaking the soil. Hope the frost doesn't get those, too!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd at least put loose straw over those bean necks!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh, just found out my pond floating plants are also risking being frozen....crap...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it apparently did not frost in my yard. I had the most tender plants covered. No frost on the chicken house roof this morning; that's the best way to see it here. Now it is supposed to be warm for the rest of the week. Weatherman said our weather should be more seasonal now for the rest of spring. Like he knows! I do feel safe to plant the rest of my beans and cukes now, tho. Gotta try.....
I hope everyone else survived....?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I could remember how to post a pic, I would show you my office. I always look like the crazy plant lady- but I had to move the entire contents of the greenhouse in here! Glad you got lucky, so lucky. They are predicting 29 tonight! Strawberries are covered- I think I am ready. Several of my customers reported seeing snow this morning! I feel bad about the fruit trees.

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so lucky, we are in southwest lower Michigan, about 10 miles east of lake Michigan. seems that if they even think about frost we get it. everything seemed to survive just fine, including our lilacs which we couldn't cover.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always assume that the perennials are tough enough to withstand a little frost (or a lot?) because they generally have hardened off already. 29, tho, that's pretty frosty! Good luck.

Latest posts