Frozen in Massachusetts

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm in eastern Massachusetts where its 51 degrees, rainy & dark on this dreary winter morning.

Since our yard is 99% sand, we have left it "natural" (pitch pine, scrub oak and forest grass), and only grow stuff in raised beds filled with decent soil. We grow veggies, berries, herbs (which we never seem to actually use) and gladiolas (for cutting).

If you click on the link to my "website" under my avatar, you can see some of the stuff I grow. I didn't take any pictures of my actual raised beds though. I didn't know Nifty was going to start a garden forum, or I would have photographed my garden to death !!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Eastern Mass., 30 minutes out of Boston. My Pennsylvania relatives enjoyed our white Xmas.

I learned most of my chicken-keeping skills from my PA relatives, unfortunately, so they were not much help with the question, "How do I haul yucky chicken litter through three feet of snow to the garden?"

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I learned most of my chicken-keeping skills from my PA relatives, unfortunately, so they were not much help with the question, "How do I haul yucky chicken litter through three feet of snow to the garden?"
I am not from Massachusetts but I am originally from Pennsylvania :), and if you don't want to stack it elsewhere and wait for spring, I can suggest three pretty good ways of hauling your chicken litter across the snow to your garden. Choice depends on how much litter and how yucky. All work well for one or two stall quantities of horse cleanings (you do NOT want to have to use them for daily cleaning of a 16 horse barn, ask me how I know ;)):

Option 1: if snow is only a foot or so deep, and/or a path of about that depth can be shoveled or shuffled thru the drifts, tie a couple feet of stout rope to 1 handle of a big plastic muck bucket (hand to have around anyways - note that walmart/toysRus/etc often sell them as storage tubs, in silly colors). Put pooey litter into tub. Pull it to garden, walking backwards so's to notice in time if it starts to tip (if you have to make >1 trip, you won't have tipping issues once the first run has flattened a track).

Option 2: Get a plastic 'molded toboggan style' sled, from store or steal it from some kids ;) You want the kind that looks sorta like a rowboat with no real sides. Make sure it has pull rope attached. Shovel litter into empty feed/mulch/garhage bags, bunge them onto the sled, tow out to garden.

Option 3: Get a big plastic tarp with no holes in it. Pile litter on it. Fold 3 sides up and around litter and secure well enough that litter won't blurp out on the way. Pull out to garden. Note that this method does not work well thru narrow gates, around corners, over very bumpy drifts, or in a high wind -- however under good conditions you can move more litter in one trip than with the other methods.

Mind, *my* chicken poo is getting stacked in a circle of fencing near the coop to wait til spring, I have a shed attached to the barn in which to compost winter horse shed cleanings, and they live outside so I seldom *have* stalls to clean these days ;)

Have "fun",

Pat

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pat, I'm so glad we don't have much snow here! We just have lots of mud. :/ Come to think of it, maybe snow would be better. I like your transport solutions. Maybe they work in deep mud, too?

Linda

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
BuffShallots, your yard looks very pretty and inviting. Nice coop! I especially like the pic of the Fairy Wings and Forget-me-nots; isn't it funny how some of our best plant combinations happen by happy accident? Is that a native Epimedium or can you purchase them somewhere? I have some native ones established around my place, but they are a bit smaller and wimpier than yours. Buff plants and buff birds! ;)

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jeepers, I didn't know epimediums could be native. I always assumed they were "exotic" somehow. I think these ones came from Heronswood Gardens (mail order) from Washington state.

Thank you for the nice comments about the coop & pullets. Made me smile.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mothergoat said:
I like your transport solutions. Maybe they work in deep mud, too?
Unfortunately no, ask me how I know :p

If you find a good way of transporting significant quantities of used litter (or anything else bulky) thru mud too deep and sucky to lay down planks and use a wheelbarrow, I would sure like to hear of it!

Pat

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pat, I just keep hoping Yoda will show up and move the stuff for me, and I won't have to lift a finger. (oh, baaad!) :rolleyes:

Buff, I am going to have to find some of those Chicago Apache Red daylilies. They are gorgeous.
There are several epimediums that are native to Western Oregon woodlands. I'm lucky enough to have some on my property here, also trilliums, creeping ginger and trout lilies. I have heard of Heronswood, I guess I'll have to check out their mail order. There is also a place near Salem OR that grows a lot of natives, small family operation. I can't think of the name right now but I can find it if someone is interested.
Linda

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mothergoat said:
I have heard of Heronswood, I guess I'll have to check out their mail order.
Be aware that a year or two ago, they were bought out and now are run by one of the mega-companies, I want to say Parks but it could be Burpees or like that.

Pat

Latest posts