Fruit Flies

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom they were beautiful with lots of animals you don't often see and some lovely terrain. The geology is fantastic. And we had perfect weather. A day earlier or later and we'd have seen rain. Most of the trip was short sleeved shirt weather. For this time of year, that's really good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
  • Fungus gnats after we bring our house plants in for the winter.
  • Fruit flies in the fall with the baskets of fruit ...
  • Carpenter ants through the summer and spring ...
  • Spiders at any time ..!
May as well live under a tree!

Why we can't have nice things :(! Fruit flies like bouquets. They are worse when melon season arrives. By the way, the yellow sticky traps that catch the fungus gnats don't catch fruit flies unless they are directly above the fruit. Such an appetizing display!

Steve

I appreciate the wine/juice/vinegar +soap idea!

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
20161105_163311.jpg

See those little buggers in there? Every week I add something else. First I used cider vinegar, next orange peal, and then banana skin..That was the best.

20161105_163259.jpg

20161105_163315.jpg

I put plastic wrap with rubber band and good size holes in the top.

Now I usually wash all fruit coming into the house with water but if I don't and I get any of these little flies well then I set up my little glasses all over the house....It works in the greenhouse also....

My grandmother showed me this when I was about 12 years.... Now let's go back and think of something....If you don't wash your fruit and you handle it to eat it without washing it, you may be smashing the little microscopic eggs and larvae into your hands. And then we are eating that fruit... My grandmother made me sick when she said this to me.....LOL I even wash my melons.

Latest posts