Garden update for you all! DUW!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is a follow up on my thread, here:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25586

Well guys, it seems like I havent been updating much! I updated often with my last garden, but I believe its because it wasnt at my house, so it amazed me so much. :lol:

Goatsbirdsandgarden004.jpg

Cosmos, tomatoes, and zinnias...

Goatsbirdsandgarden006.jpg

Cherokee Purple tomatoes...

Goatsbirdsandgarden007.jpg

Zuchinni...

Goatsbirdsandgarden017.jpg

Squash and Zuchinni explosion! :lol: I planted 4-5 rows, at intervals mind you, and they're all producing at the same time!!

Goatsbirdsandgarden015.jpg

Goatsbirdsandgarden029.jpg

Goatsbirdsandgarden025.jpg

Potatoes...

Goatsbirdsandgarden028.jpg

And this guy fell off in my hand today!

rats022.jpg

There are quite a few in there, Im thinking about grabbing some more! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow- everything looks great! I am once again reminded how much I wish I was gardening somewhere other that zone 4! I was excited last night, because I saw flowers on my tomato plants! Do you use the cosmos for cutting in arrangements, or do you just keep them in the garden? A lot of mine self seeded from last summer, looking forward to their cheerful flowers! Your onions look huge- have you harvested any? Enjoy all the fruits of your hard work!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you! I would hate that, Im so glad I live here. Its nice to be able to grow stuff nearly all year. No, I dont. My sister might but I just grow them for an extra burst of color in the garden. Some of my onions are huge, and some are itty bitty, lol. I've harvested about 7-9, my parents have been using them. Im not a fan of onions, but I enjoyed growing them. I have a whole row of yellows as well. Thank you very much.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

This is the Garden of the Year! Wow is an understatement. Your going to be swimming in food LOL

I also wanted to talk about the onions. Yours look ready for harvesting. I live on a working farm and this is how they handle their onions.

They try to reach a nice size on the onion and then they under cut the roots before the onion bolts and goes into bloom. Those that do bloom prior to harvesting will soften faster while stored; whereas, those harvested prior to flowering will typically last in a cool, dry, darkened area throughout the winter months and potentially until next harvest. (I guess I love onions :p) After a few days the tops begin to wither and draw into the onion and pulling is easier. The tops are removed completely and they are then bagged and hung to dry. I really do love fresh onions! :cool:

I have a nice row of both red and yellow this year. I plan on harvesting seed though for doing onion sets over the winter. So a part of the reds and a part of the yellows will be covered with a fine netting. I do not want to start losing through crossing, but I was hasty to start both because of the availability of sets this spring. At least with garlic it is just splitting cloves.

I think your garden is tops. I love the fact that my cosmos look just as tall (mine are bolting now), and my zinnias look identical to yours. Please don't tell me these pictures are from last month LOL :rolleyes:

I sort of see your garden as evolving into a kitchen garden. Right now you are utilizing your space perfectly. I bet, like me, finding the balance is the tough part. One year my abundance was far beyond my capacity. I eat more now though LOL

OK, thanks for sharing, I want to see it grow bigger and bigger through the year and definitely let us know how you handled your onions and show us your finished cleaned crop. That is always breathtaking.

Cool, Take care
Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ooooooooooooooh.... delicious!!! It all looks so fabulous. Mmmmm...

I am assuming you will be cooking any extras and inviting us all over for dinner one night. That potato looks wonderful... and it is kind of convincing me to go out and get my new potatoes now. I don't want to wait anymore.

You've made me so hungry.... GREAT JOB! You should be so proud. :ya

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
YUM! Why don't you come down to my house for Chickenstock and bring some of that with you! ;)

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Very very very nice. You can grow onions right now? I thought that was a cool weather animal. Isnt the wait on those tomatoes FOREVER?????

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Ron! Your post made me smile, its great to see my hard work appreciated! Thanks about the onions. Those two were some of the largest, I've just let them go. Thank you for all of the info though, its really helpful. I was just waiting for the tops to fall over like my grandma said, they've started doing that now. We have a cellar to put them in when they're done, along with my potatoes. Thank you. LOL, no.... the pics might be a few days old, but definitely not a month. The thing about my garden, although there are just four of us living here, is that Im growing for most of the family. That includes my sister and her fiance, both grandmas and a few aunts, uncles and half a dozen cousins. I enjoy sharing, and I definitely enjoy growing, so it works well for me. I will definitely share photos of the onions and whatever I pick when the time rolls around. Thanks again, I appreciate your post.

Hiiii vfem! Thank you! We had a whole mess of fried zuchinni tonight, you just missed it! :lol: Shh, I snuck out and picked some more after getting that one. 8 nice big ones, we'll be cooking them up tomorrow, hopefully. I dont want to wait either, but after seeing tons of little ones down there with these, I know I can do it. Thanks!

:lol: Carri, you know I'd love to! I just dont think my parents would go for that, they havent even allowed me to drive on the freeway yet! I might rebel soon if they dont loosen up. :gig

Thanks, Texan. I planted my onions in February, they're just getting ready for picking right now. We ate plenty of green onions throughout the past few months though! The wait is ridiculous, especially when they're nice and big! I dont eat them, but I sure do enjoy picking them.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your comments!

Latest posts